• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buckskins.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJC

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I want to base my buckskins and hat on this guy.

Where can I get the deer skins?

Where can I get the patterns?

Where can I get the tools needed to make this set up?

How do I make it?

Crazy Crow would be one source for the skins. On the pattern I'd get Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 of the Mountain Man sketch book from the museum of the fur trade. There are a few of the old Buck Skinning books as well. If you have an old pair of jeans, etc. you can tear them apart to help with a pattern- to some extent.
Tools- Tandy.
Prior to making anything- post what you are thinking to get some feed back. You might also buy some cheap fabric and make a proto-type before cutting up expensive leather.

BJC said:

Where can I get the deer skins?

Where can I get the patterns?

Where can I get the tools needed to make this set up?

How do I make it?
Then all you need is someone to wear it for you. :rotf:

BJC said:

I keep looking at the jacket's top panel, that goes over the guy's shoulders, and wonder if that construction is too modern to be correct for a period jacket? I realize that a panel that went over the shoulder is correct, so there is no seam on top of the shoulders. I am not saying that panel is wrong for certain sure, but it just looks a bit too modern for me - as if it was copied directly from a dress shirt. I may be wrong, though. Does anyone know for sure?

Gus

Making a pair of bucksin leggings or pants is a lot of work but worth the effort. But you are not going to get an easy answer in a forum post.

Having said that I will pass on some advice based on my experience making a pair ten plus years ago. I bought commercial tanned buckskin and made my own pattern based on a pair of Levi's. They came out pretty nice after probably 12 to 14 hours of sewing spread out over several days.

I would recommend not using commercial tanned hides. Spend the extra money and get either the German tanned buckskin from Crazy Crow or just buy brain tan hides from someone.

There is a good tutorial on line entitled "the whip stitch: how I do it." Just google it. It is especially helpful regarding starting the stitch and finishing it off.

As far as patterns are concerned I would look up Rex Allen Normans sketch book 1837 for ideas. I would definitely put in the effort and try to use authentic hides and pattern from the get go. I have some deer hides I plan on brain tanning so I can make a more authentic pair than my commercially tanned set and wish I would have just done right the first time.

The bottom line is just do your research, get the right materials and go for it! Good luck and have fun.

Black Hand said:
I'd do more research BEFORE you launch this project...

Absolutely, if you've never taken on a project such as this... I highly advise you take warning to this advice. I've made multiple pairs of buckskin leggings. For starters, the amount of money your going to spend on hides will probably blow your mind, let alone the patience involved when working with leather. This isn't a first time project by any means... Personally, slow down and why not try your hand at constructing a leather possible bag? This will give you an idea as what to expect and save you allot of money and frustration from potentially messing up a good resource such as the hides.

I admire your enthusiasm. :thumbsup:

You are getting great advice from folks who have been where you are now, and they want you to be successful in your journey, and to be spared some of the mistakes they made - some of which can dampen enthusiasm, and sour sweet joy. What is done in haste, is often regretted in leisure.

Your journey can last a lifetime. Take a few moments to appreciate the beauty of the vast Wilderness you are about to enter. Read at least some of the material being recommended, and ask lots of questions, just like you are doing. Then you will be buying equipment that will provide you with pleasure for as long as you use it, and you will avoid the discouragement of disappointment.

I wish you a long and interesting journey. I wish you well. :hatsoff:

Richard/Grumpa

So,

are you intending to use real sinew or artificial sinew? Research is the key. Be absolutely certain that is the persona you will do and what that story might be. Will these be worn to a primitive-only get together, trekking, or rondyvoos? Many start their research downloading from the internet images from Alfred Jacob Miller, and others from the time, with the caveat that field line sketches are considered to be 'more true' to the reality. Oh, and when I tried to make my own moccasins I did stretch the CC German Leather before hand, yet those moccasins still grew on my feet.

Best of luck,
Apaws
Oh and the devil is in the details

Black Hand said:
The painting looks good, and fun. Many of us dressed like this in the 70,and 80s. My 'war shirt' hangs in my man cave and a photo of a bunch of us 'shinning'. In general his outfit is more 1980 then 1830, do research before the outlay of cash. Two years from now you'll be happier you did.

Finnbarr said:
I would recommend not using commercial tanned hides. Spend the extra money and get either the German tanned buckskin from Crazy Crow or just buy brain tan hides from someone.

As far as patterns are concerned I would look up Rex Allen Normans sketch book 1837 for ideas. I would definitely put in the effort and try to use authentic hides and pattern from the get go. I have some deer hides I plan on brain tanning so I can make a more authentic pair than my commercially tanned set and wish I would have just done right the first time.

That's a double :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Back in the 70's I used commercial tanned buckskin for most of the buckskin clothes I made. I made a Jacket and Drop Front Trousers for myself as well as a few jackets and leggings for others, plus even two NA dresses for a couple of ladies.

Commercially tanned skins DO NOT BREATHE and they are ungodly hot in the summer. It is like being inside a sweat lodge or sauna.

A buddy of mine back then used commercial tanned buckskin for a Jacket that he lined with red wool blanketing. It looked good, BUT even in the coldest days of an Indiana winter, it was just too hot to wear.

I also made the mistake of using artificial sinew for these projects and many other projects back then. I VERY much wished I had used good linen thread instead, which is historically correct.

Not sure if I am ever going to make more buckskins, but if I do, it will be with at least the Crazy Crow leather, if not real brain tanned buckskin and linen thread.

Gus

tenngun said:
Black Hand said:
The painting looks good, and fun. Many of us dressed like this in the 70,and 80s. My 'war shirt' hangs in my man cave and a photo of a bunch of us 'shinning'. In general his outfit is more 1980 then 1830, do research before the outlay of cash. Two years from now you'll be happier you did.

or maybe the mythos began long before such as the 1860's-70's:

painting of Jim Baker late 1860's:
jimbaker.jpg

scout Charles Stobie and again Jim Baker only in his working clothes:
c-stobie-jim-baker.jpg

Buffalo Bill's hunting coat 1860's
scout-coat-1.jpg

Frederic Remington 1880's
remington-botas.jpg

Your gonna have to spend some money to dress like that fella. I would highly recommend German tan buckskin from Crazy Crow. You can buy second choice hides for a very fair price and smoke them yourself as dark as you want them. Also you could consider leggins and a calico or ossenberg shirt to get started. The leggins are gonna be alot simpler to make than britches and are more versatile. they can be worn over knee britches in cooler weather. Also a cloth shirt can be worn without the buckskin shirt in hot weather and under neath it in cool weather. Then you need a hat and mocs. Tim Bender makes some darn nice hats. I bought my mocs from a guy named Terry Conn from Livermore colorado, they are triple sole buffalo, very comfortable and very well built. Good luck and welcome aboard.

I am curious what do you have for a rifle? Do you have one yet? Just wondering. :thumbsup:

To BJC, There sure are a lot of people on this site that seem to want to discourage someone from doing what they want to do, and looking like they want to look.

"No, you don't want to do that. Buy all your stuff from a sutler, they need your business anyway. That gives you more time to sit and watch Davy Crockett re-runs so you can make fun of Mingos accent with the rest of us."

My advice, go for it. There is nothing in that picture that is not period correct and no reason some guy didn't look like that at some point covered by this website. Ignore the critics and keep after it, even if it takes you years to accomplish it. Good goals are not always easy.

I don't believe anyone's intention is to tell someone they can not do what they want to do.

However, I know that back when I was new at the game, I would have LOVED to have had the availability of the wealth of knowledge on this forum to help keep from making mistakes I made (some very expensive ones I might add). Saves a lot of frustration and regret, later on. I am still very interested in how others do things to find better ways to do them myself.

OH, in my experience, there is a lot of historically inaccurate stuff being sold by some sutlers, though a smaller number of sutlers sell some really quality items. However, no need to buy from sutlers if you can and want to make it yourself.

Gus

Back