Buckskinners Help!!!!

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Hota

40 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I just brought home two skins from yesterday's opening season courtesy of my hunting partners. I am leaving for a trip to CA in the AM and will not be back until Friday PM EST. I have the skins, now a day old, in plastic bags outside. What do I have to do to preserve them until I can properly prepare them when I return? Ice? Bury them? I am short on time, your help is much appreciated.

Black Hand

Cannon
Reaction score
Either freeze them or spread them flesh-side up and salt liberally. It may be cold enough where you live that they could be OK until friday with no treatment.
Black Hand

Birdman

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Hota if ya have the room toss em in the freezer till ya get back.With all the rain coming leaving them outside around here won't work, still to warm too. Then thaw em out n work on em. Quickest easiest with the time frame, YMHS Birdman oh yea give me a call when ya get a chance

Hota

40 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I've got one in a freezer and one in a cooler packed in ice. Do you think the one in the cooler will be ok or is there a better approach? My goal is to tan both sides for use in making clothing, likely a war or hunting shirt.

scott fellows

40 Cal.
Reaction score
first thing you want to do is get them out of that plastic bag. if you have an extra hour i would flesh them before putting them in the freezer. it will make your job that much easier. they flesh fairly easy when fresh but the longer you wait the harder it is to do. after you flesh them then you can put them in the plastic bag and into the freezer. leaving them outside in plastic they will rot quickly. the bad part is that sometimes you don't realize how bad they got until you start your tanning and find them to be worthless. get them fleshed then either froze or salted as quickly as possible. hope that helps some.
pieman

Hota

40 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Well it's 1107PM here. I got one of the two fleshed, salted, wrapped and put in the freezer. The other I took out of the bag and submerged it in ice in a 5-day rated cooler. I hope I don't lose it but we'll see Friday night. I'm beat, gotta pack, thank you guys for your quick responses.

Latest posts