Buckskin dresses?

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Fur Trade' started by -, Jan 12, 2006.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Jan 12, 2006 #1

Any of you fellas know what a Cree Womans buckskin dress looked like in the fur trade years?
    My Lil' bride is French Canadian Cree and I would like to make her a buckskin dress that is right for the period. I have a bunch of smoked braintanned skins but don't want to use them until I'm sure I know what I'm doing. And if you have any pictures of the leggings and moccasins to go with it, that would be appreciated too.
    Don :hatsoff:

2. Jan 12, 2006 #2

Walks Alone

Walks Alone

Walks Alone

45 Cal.

The wide spread Cree were greatly influenced by the surrounding groups they mingled and joined with I'll bet. So if I had to guess I'd say a basic starting point would be the also wide spread side fold dress with non-attached sleeves, short or long leggins and center seam or one-piece edge seam mocs (leggins/mocs depending on which band/group). They were also known for their quill work I think. A basic pattern ought to be available from several sources under either Eastern, Plains or Woodland I'd think. For pictures you might try searching for any of the Cree Nations different websites to see if they have pictures on any of them.

Sorry Don, but all of my old research data/pics/maps is packed away in storage.

3. Jan 12, 2006 #3

Don ss said much depends on period and location for starters:

check out the books (all available from Crazy Crow and more than likely can be found used or new on Amazon....:
    "Indian Clothing of the Great Lakes: 1740-1840"

"Arts of Diplomacy: Lewis & Clark's Indian Collection" Has a couple of early dresses in full color shwoing the decoration.

"19th Century Plains Indian Dresses"

An alternative to the side fold or strap dress is the early tow hide dress. For info on upper Missouri two hide dresses and accoutrements check out:[url] http://www.womenofthefurtrade.com/[/url]

Moccasins, dependent on time/area could be center seam, small pucker toe, or the side seam.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2018
  4. Jan 12, 2006 #4

atki

atki

atki

40 Cal.

Here is a good link to a site that makes clothing, but they have drawings of many different stlyes and info on how they were sewn or laced or whaterver:[url] http://www.gareneker.com/ndxwskin.shtml[/url]

Also, if the little lady wears a size 6-7, I have a great pair of slightly used women's moccassins. If Clyde will ever get our classified going again, I'm putting them there. If your are interested, let me know and I'll send ya a pic.
    WB

5. Jan 12, 2006 #5

Thanks for the help and the resources that you all have sited.
    Wanishi-tah,(many thanks)
    Don

6. Jan 13, 2006 #6

Ron LaClair

Ron LaClair

Ron LaClair

50 Cal.

I bought this buckskin dress for my wife when I went on a huntin trip to Canada. It is supposed to be Indian made :confused: don't know for sure but it made my wife happy and that's all that counts. :grin:
    [​IMG]

Juice Jaws likes this.
  7. Jan 13, 2006 #7

That's a nice looking outfit and a purty gal too. Say, can she shoot that bow?

8. Jan 14, 2006 #8

Legionair

Legionair

Legionair

40 Cal.

You might want to check out this site...
    [url] WWW.NATIVETECH.ORG[/url]

Lots of patterns and info... :thumbsup:

Legion

9. Jan 14, 2006 #9

Ron LaClair

Ron LaClair

Ron LaClair

50 Cal.

You bet she can.

[​IMG]

Juice Jaws likes this.
  10. Jan 14, 2006 #10

E :thumbsup: Mmmmmmpressive!!! :hatsoff:

11. Jan 23, 2006 #11

Holley

Holley

Holley

45 Cal.

"Here is a good link to a site that makes clothing, but they have drawings of many different stlyes and info on how they were sewn or laced or whaterver:[url] http://www.gareneker.com/ndxwskin.shtml"[/url]

Went to this site and the dress are horrible. Stick to Women of the Fur Trade site. They are the best. Unfortuantly MOST traders do not research their clothing...they just sell what is best for them to sell. :shocked2: Also, because material is Indian made does not make it accurate for the time period you want. Do your research first before buying or making anything.

12. May 9, 2019 #12

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

75A67C4D-2A2A-4280-BF99-BCAFEAEAB5BE.jpeg 14CDDBF8-1B10-4E6C-BCA2-31DE42FDB828.jpeg BB852B5F-98D2-4E05-A70A-1B4E6B9C8E03.jpeg A76AC6D0-3538-422F-A3A2-9F380FF9AFD8.jpeg

Attached Files:

13. May 9, 2019 #13

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

Indian women had a lot of mobility between tribes. Some times via capture sometimes via free movement. ITHINK clothing styles were less tribal specific then we tend to credit in museums today. They traded clothing a lot and intermarried a lot. So I would argue Indian styles were more fluid then ‘Assiniboine dress’ or ‘Chipawa dress’