• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

buckshot through full chokes.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so you would recommend 000? alls I want it foir is for 15 yards either shooting a hog or going into a thicket to find one ive shot
While Curator is answering your question maybe he can answer mine.

Since you are going to be shooting it at 15 yards or so, I wouldn't think there would be much difference between a cylinder bore and a full choke on a buckshot load.
Does anyone have any idea how much a load of #4 buckshot would spread out at a range of 45 feet if it was fired from a cylinder bore gun?

Does anyone have any idea how much a load of #4 buckshot would spread out at a range of 45 feet if it was fired from a cylinder bore gun?

Modern loads and guns, yes- 15"-18".

Hints and clues with muzzleloaders:
I've shot #2 1/2 buck (.290" ball for my 30 cal rifle vs .240 for #4 buck), #0 buck (actually .310" for my 32 cal rifle rather than .320") and #000 buck (actually .350" for my 36 cal rifle and between .330" for #00 buck and .360" for #000 buck) from my Pieta 12 and my Bess. Mine were all pure lead rather than the alloy of commercial buck. Shooting at 50' rather than 45' both guns put most into 2' or less using the Skychief loading method. Had more "strays" in the patterns than I'd expect with harder shot. Excluding strays I might even claim 18" patterns. Kinda wondered what could be done with harder shot, but haven't cast any that small from wheelweights or been willing to buy 8# jugs at $38 a copy for experiments.

Back