Buckle on a sash...

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

smo

70 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Guys, I have searched the web without any results , so I thought I'd ask here....

Were finger woven sashes ever worn back in the day (F&I) with a buckle instead of just being tied?

Brokennock

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I can't recall reading any accounts thereof. In fact, I even see references to belts being "tied", so, method of closure is open for interpretation. There are accounts of them generally being "tied behind," and coming loose when grabbed allowing the wearer to escape a persuing enemy.

How did you envision such a buckle working? 2 "D-rings," passing the tag end through both, back over the outside of the second and return through the 1st?

tenngun

Cannon
Reaction score
Every painting or drawing I’ve seen was tied or you can’t see it. A double ring would work, a true buckle would have to be reenforced or it would tear out.
Much of the time a sash was a working piece. You wrapped it around your waist, you used it to carry a bundle on your back, or in portage, or anything you might want six to ten feet of tie for. Would a buckle help that function, or would it be in the way?

smo

70 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies Guys...

Brokennock, the 2 D rings came to mind, But i can't see why a buckle wouldn't work as well..
Like you Guys , I've just never seen one in a painting or portrait.

Tenngun, Do you think the tongue would pull thru the finger weave?

I've made a finger woven belt 1" wide X 5'6" long just to tie my leggings too.

It's made from jute twine which works itself loose after a while when tied, I was thinking a buckle would secure them better.

Just that I've never seen it done that way...

I'm not sure if a buckle with a tongue would be best or one that has a post that pierces the webbing too secure it..

Both would need too big enough for the knot too pass thru however....

I did think of a piece of leather reinforcing the webbing at the end where the tongue attaches... but I'm not sure that's needed.

I'm not too much concerned about HC/PC since my belt will be out of sight... But just wondering if it was ever done. Thanks again.

FB8A660A-09B0-4297-8B5C-9F178BB73149.jpeg

QuinnTheEskimo

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
The pilgrims had buckles on their hats and it never occurred to them to put them on a belt?!? :D

smo

70 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Strange isn’t it.....

smo

70 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
At what point would it cease to be a sash and become a belt?
Probably when you add a buckle....

I would think a sash should go around your body at least twice, whereas this belt will only go around my belly once..... with a little left over.

Grenadier1758

58 Cal.
Reaction score
It occurred to them to put the buckle on a belt, and on shoes, but not on a woven sash.
A sash that is tied can be used for many more functions than if it is limited in utility by adding a buckle. Obviously as a belt when tied behind. As a tumpline. To become a strap with a blanket wrapped around it. Sure you can put the tongue through the sash at any point, but the tongue will wear the sash out much too soon.

Brokennock

50 Cal.
Reaction score
A sash that is tied can be used for many more functions than if it is limited in utility by adding a buckle. Obviously as a belt when tied behind. As a tumpline. To become a strap with a blanket wrapped around it. Sure you can put the tongue through the sash at any point, but the tongue will wear the sash out much too soon.
I agree. My retort was directed at the wise crack statement about the hat.

Latest posts