• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Buckhorn 209 in a percussion side lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powderhombre

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with this stuff? I am a devout user of Black powder and would never really consider using a substitute, BUT, I want to Muzzleload pronghorn and I am thinking I need a little extra Velocity and energy at 150 yards or beyond. It is my understanding that this Buckhorn 209 will deliver that. I also know it is intended for inlines and have heard it can be hard to ignight. I was thinking I could load 5 grains of BP first and the BH on top. That should do the trick? Any thoughts?

Anyone have any experience with this stuff? I am a devout user of Black powder and would never really consider using a substitute, BUT, I want to Muzzleload pronghorn and I am thinking I need a little extra Velocity and energy at 150 yards or beyond. It is my understanding that this Buckhorn 209 will deliver that. I also know it is intended for inlines and have heard it can be hard to ignight. I was thinking I could load 5 grains of BP first and the BH on top. That should do the trick? Any thoughts?

A member by the handle of Idaho Ron takes game regularly with muzzle loaders at incredible ranges, search for his input.

To get some extra reach I would install a receiver peep sight, then use a conical, say a Maxi, REAL, or Minie ball and PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.

According to Lymans trajectory chart they drop less and retain more ft/lbs... not that pronghorns are hard to kill.

A member by the handle of Idaho Ron takes game regularly with muzzle loaders at incredible ranges, search for his input.

To get some extra reach I would install a receiver peep sight, then use a conical, say a Maxi, REAL, or Minie ball and PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.

According to Lymans trajectory chart they drop less and retain more ft/lbs... not that pronghorns are hard to kill.

I shooting a TC Hawken Circa 1979 .50 cal with a verier type tang sight. I've taken half dozen elk and that many deer at ranges under a hundred yards. I"ve been shooting TC conicals. I haven't settled on a bullet as of yet. I will choose which ever proves to be the most accurate. I am just experimenting here outside the box and was really inquiring if anyone has ever tried the BH209 in a sidelock. I may go over to the modern muzzleloader site, but they'll probably tell me to come here. thank you.

https://www.blackhorn209.com/
1607021237287.png

1. Will Blackhorn 209 work in my muzzleloading rifle?
Blackhorn 209 was specifically designed for modern in-line muzzleloaders with sealed ignition systems using standard 209 shotshell primers. Check with your rifle’s manufacturer for compatibility.

2. Will Blackhorn work with a #11 percussion or musket cap primer?
NO. #11 percussion caps, or musket caps do not have sufficient strength to ignite Blackhorn 209.

7. My gun is rated for 150 grains. Can I shoot 150 grains of Blackhorn 209?
Typically, guns are rated for 150 grains of black powder or Pyrodex. Blackhorn 209 is more energetic and will achieve or exceed the velocities of Pyrodex with less powder. See our load data page for maximum volumetric charges.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do not think your gun was rated for 150 grains of Pryrodex. You would have to conslult the loading chart carefully as the increase in pressure can spike quickly with heavy projectiles.

Black powder and Black Horn have two widely different burning characteristics, using a duplex charge could result in two separate ignitions resulting in a barrel explosion. Not worth the risk if you ask me.

I tried Blackhorn 209 in side lock percussion guns. Found I needed a 209 primer adapter for consistent ignition and performance, but BH 209 kicked butt as far as consistency and velocity, and left virtuality no residue. Still found adapters to be a PIA (dropped screw on cap more than once). I’ve burned a few pounds just experimenting. Took powder charges up to 100 grains in a 45 caliber barrel (1” flats) and accuracy started to go so that’s where I stopped.

For reaching out with a ‘traditional’ side lock I stayed with paperpatched conicals in 45 and 50 caliber over 3F Swiss. Check out @Idaho Ron posts as someone else suggested for a summary of his process. Once dialed in I wasn’t seeing much if any difference in accuracy. Add in the PIA 209 adaptor cap and the areas I was looking at hunting at the time did not allow closed ignition or 209 primers and the decision was easy.

The pronghorn in my avatar was taken at 137-yards on my rangefinder. .54 flintlock with PRB using 80 grain FFFg. It was sighted in 1-inch high at 100-yards and I held on the backline of the animal. That is the furthest shot I've ever taken at game. It seems to work out with "standard" velocity and trajectory.

OK I realize I'm a dumb acre and its Blackhorn not Buckhorn, secondly I decide not to mess with it. I have plenty of BP and I don't like the idea of it being a smokeless powder. Just as an aside I did buy some Triple seven without doing any background checking and was very disappointed when I opened it and saw it was a glorified version of Pyrodex. Pyrodex IMO is a Rusting agent that just so happens to burn. I probably wont use that either.

Back