• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Bucket List Hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

50cal.cliff

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I want to take my son and go out west to hunt elk with a traditional muzzleloader. Anyone got an idea where an old fart mught stand a chance at a bull elk. I know I have got to get into better shape but that is the least of my worries. I want to do this with my son before I kick the bucket. Just lost my wife and feeling a bit vunerable at this time! So where might be the best area to hunt for an old fart with a fussed lower back and legs that aren't as good as they used to be?? New Mexico, Colorado where, any ideas. We won't make it this year but, that will give me time to get in better shape for next year!

I want to take my son and go out west to hunt elk with a traditional muzzleloader. Anyone got an idea where an old fart mught stand a chance at a bull elk. I know I have got to get into better shape but that is the least of my worries. I want to do this with my son before I kick the bucket. Just lost my wife and feeling a bit vunerable at this time! So where might be the best area to hunt for an old fart with a fussed lower back and legs that aren't as good as they used to be?? New Mexico, Colorado where, any ideas. We won't make it this year but, that will give me time to get in better shape for next year!
My most sincere condolences to you and your son on the loss of your wife, his mom.

Can't help you with the elk hunt but wanted to wish you luck and extend my sympathy.

I would look at Wyoming. Some areas have a large concentration of elk near farm houses and apparatus. Other areas have elk in wooded clusters that make close range shooting somewhat probable. You won't have a lot of projectile/caliber/propellant/ignition restrictions like CO and other States. An outfitted hunt is comparable to neighboring States and less than most. DIY is available either on public areas or private access areas where you might pay for access, or food/lodging but are not guided.

As one old fart to another, my first bit of advice is do it now. The important aspect of that ditty is you may not be able to be very selective as to state or area of any given state. Regs and availability of tags can be a problem. Takes some research.

A muzzleloader bull elk tag in New Mexico for a non-resident is a pretty tough draw unless you go through an outfitter. If you are up for a DIY hunt, I'd suggest trying for tags in either Unit 16 or 52. Outfitter hunts might be more of a sure thing tag-wise. You'll likely need to tell your wallet to brace for impact as they can get pricey. Ive hunted elk a lot in NM, but never with an outfitter. Colorado has the largest elk population in the country so the draw odds might be more in your favor. Hopefully this helps. PM me if you have any questions that you think I might be able to answer - I'd be happy to do so.

I'm sorry about the loss of your wife and mom to your son...

Also,my thoughts for your loss. If there is an avenue, Wyoming would be good. But remember
that it can be wind-blown and freezing there. If you can afford it I recommend a guide.
Not so much for the actual hunt, but because of all the little details guides know about
and take care of. Build yourself up. Your loss brings stress and that is worse on us than
the effects of old age sometimes. Build up resilience with walking until you can hike
a few miles. Get a weight vest, add weights until you can hike with 30 pounds or more.
Take supplements--they work- especially as we age. Chondroitin-collagen-jello etc.
Vitamins. Balanced diet. In the meantime do some fishing trips if possible as part of
your activities. My heart goes out to you. Being a human is not easy - death is a
tough part that comes with life. A professor of mine years ago said when you are
born you get a birth certificate signed by the doctor---on the back of it is an
invisible death certificate made out by the Lord. Between the front and back is your
life. My belief is that we will all live together in eternity--with our wives and loved
ones who went before us. Yes enjoy your Son--go hunt and you will succeed
whether or not you kill anything.

Depending on what you are wanting or what you can afford I would definitely do a guided hunt. I have done a few do it yourself hunts out West. Your chances for success will be much higher with a guide.

For a guided hunt there are quite a few companies that can help you find and book a hunt, or simply start cruising the internet looking for what you want.

I have done 3 self guided elk hunts. WY once and CO twice. Never had a chance at a bull, shot a cow on the first hunt. One of the trips to CO the area we choose to hunt had no animals in it when we were there. Lots of old sign, but nothing fresh, none of us ever saw an elk. Nothing worse then planning for a year, only to hunt in an area that had no animals when we were there.

A lot of guided hunts have guaranteed tags you dont have to worry about points etc.

Self guided antelope hunts are very much more doable. Lots of animals and lots of public land that you can hunt.

Several years ago myself and 4 buddies took our boys to WY for their first hunt out West. Everyone shot an antelope in 3 days. This was a self guided hunt.

Myself and 2 other buddies just booked a guided hunt yesterday for 2023.

Good Luck

Fleener

My son guided in Colorado this Fall. His hunter, an older gentleman with who used a muzzleloader of some type, were the only ones successful in that area that he knows of, and it wasn't a Bull. But it made that man's year and his smiling face on the pictures show it. Hope you and your son have a wonderful time in the big country elk are found in.

Latest posts

Back