• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Buck Stitch Help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Owl

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Buck stitch is using rawhide lace and doing a running stitch. On a wrap stitch the tag ends are put along side the edge and covered with the wraps. I don't know how to secure the tag ends on a running stitch (buck stitch) nothing on You-Tube.

I would suggest running about 3/8" (+/-) of the extra lace back into the next-to-last hole & push the protruding tab under the main stitch on the other side of the sheath.

What I have done isI bend the tag end at 45 degrees so it is locked down by the first stitch and protrudes out the side- and I trim it. Since it is rawhide and dries hard- I hope it will stay in place. I asked because others must have done this and I wanted to know how they handled it.
BTW: I did another holster with rawhide lace that I wrapped. The edge of the Holster has inside curves and outside curves. If you space all the slits the same distance apart, the lace is too crowded on the inside curves and splayed out with gaps between the wraps on the outside curves. Requires more thought in making the slits than first appears.

I got an answer on another site and wanted to share. On the tag end cut a slit parallel to the length of the lace. That's how they do snowshoes, BUT on a holster or sheath- run the lace through the top hole, then through the slit, then the bottom hole- this makes a compact and neat job.

Latest posts

Back