• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

BUCK&BALL

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy y,all. Been reading this forum thinking maybe a year now, likes how it pop-up on my email. This will be my first post as I have several questions but asking only one at this time. Buck & Ball, with my metal detector found several round balls with three-dimple impression. They are very old found 8-12inch beneath the ground. Will post pictures when I figure how and not really sure what I'm looking at. When I micro most lead balls measure around .65-.69 dia, am these just buck&ball loads from a 16-gauge shotgun? Trying to connect a near by old federal fort built 1853 that look to be using Harpers U.S. Model M1841 Rifle, read somewhere most were .54 or .58 cal. but thought I read .69 cal model was made also. Got a second question now thinking what does rifle markings look like on a round ball, 30 year black-powder shooter and I never see a ball after down the barrel lol.

Cool find!

Well the Hall carbines were 58 or 64-caliber smoothbores where the 'service load' was indeed a buck&ball load for cavalry or special unit use, especially during the various Indian uprisings and US Civil War. The 58s weren't made by the Harpers Ferry armory, but by the contractor Simeon North, whereas the 1834/36 models from HF was 64-caliber, later ones issued in percussion.

In the 2nd Seminole Wars some companies were issued both 64-cal smoothbore carbines and 50-cal (fires a 0.55" ball) rifled carbines. Historians note that any reference to '69 caliber' Hall carbines were due to the reference of the pivoting chamber size.

Attached are some photos of roundballs put through Ferguson-type breech loading rifles, where one can easily see the rifling marks impressed into the ball, for ‘full bore’ balls were used. Note the obturation in the single one shown was due to forcing it through the barrel, I’ve not been successful in finding a ‘shot’ one that wasn’t fully flattened out …

I’d guess what you found came from a flintlock smoothbore arm, which were still used through the Civil War period.

D7CA6AB7-2FAB-4DF7-B1BA-126D7026B972.jpeg

E7404DD9-1F6E-49D7-B695-B60A66D78B1E.jpeg

Last edited:
Welcome from AZ. My pop’s reenactment rifle is a smoothbore .69 caliber Springfield musket repro. He tells me this is the type of weapon that civil war soldiers shot buck and ball from.

Cool find!

Well the Hall carbines were 58 or 64-caliber smoothbores where the 'service load' was indeed a buck&ball load for cavalry or special unit use, especially during the various Indian uprisings and US Civil War. The 58s weren't made by the Harpers Ferry armory, but by the contractor Simeon North, whereas the 1834/36 models from HF was 64-caliber, later ones issued in percussion.

In the 2nd Seminole Wars some companies were issued both 64-cal smoothbore carbines and 50-cal (fires a 0.55" ball) rifled carbines. Historians note that any reference to '69 caliber' Hall carbines were due to the reference of the pivoting chamber size.

Attached are some photos of roundballs put through Ferguson-type breech loading rifles, where one can easily see the rifling marks impressed into the ball, for ‘full bore’ balls were used. Note the obturation in the single one shown was due to forcing it through the barrel, I’ve not been successful in finding a ‘shot’ one that wasn’t fully flattened out …

I’d guess what you found came from a flintlock smoothbore arm, which were still used through the Civil War period.

View attachment 135072

View attachment 135073
Thanks, and for all the warm welcomes. I took another 'good' look at these lead balls; there a flat ban around each ball looks to be made by the barrel bore. Ban width varies on each lead balls measuring from 1/16 -3/16 wide no rifle marks pretty smooth. Wow so that flat ban marking rule out 16 gauge shot-gun shooting a buck&ball load a shotgun shell which is like shooting a Sabot bullet thinking where lead ball or bullet does not touch the bore, please correct me if wrong.

Welcome from AZ. My pop’s reenactment rifle is a smoothbore .69 caliber Springfield musket repro. He tells me this is the type of weapon that civil war soldiers shot buck and ball from.
Yeah betting musket too, where balls were found close to Fort Lane 1853-55 during Indians wars Rogue River Oregon. Army Company C & E battle Indians during 1855 Rogue River war.

Latest posts

Back