• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bubba45 Ramrod Drill

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZUG

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I sent you a bunch of words on what I use as a ramrod drill but a picture is worth $1.49 - no,no,no - a thousand words so here are some pictures of the words I sent you.
DSCF0007.jpg

DSCF0004.jpg

I like that..did you do it or have it made? Could you use different bits in it 5/16, 3/8s if they were threaded the same?

Zug,that tells the tale ! Checked the local Industrial Supply here in town and they had one in stock ! They have the 3/8" roundstock too, Ill be in business shortly. :thumbsup:

I've never seen anything like this. It looks like a drill bit welded to an army threaded cleaning rod from an M-16. Is this a commercially made product ??
Ohio Rusty

I want one!

I have been percolating on making something similar, but had not done it yet.

CS

To all - I made up the deep hole drill using a long brad point drill bit from Harbor Freight (I purchased different sizes) & steel rod from McMaster-Carr of the same diameter as the drill bits & 6 feet long. I cut the 6 foot rod so I end up with two sections one - 30 inches & the other 42 inches then I turnned the drill bit 1/2" long @ 5/16" dia. and then 1/2" long @ 1/4 dia.(see picture) thread the 1/4" end to 1/4" X 28 TPI. Take the steel rods and bore (drill) & tap the ends of each to match the drill bit threaded / stepped end. You will have two steel rods -one for deep fullstock rifles and one not so deep for half stock rifles - all you need to do is switch the bits. One bit of advise -- the bits from Harbor Freight do not drill 3/8 inch holes - they are a little smaller :confused: for me.

Only the business end of the drill in tempered
the other end is not and can be threaded .

You looks very nice. Mine is crude but works. I just took the drill bit & welded it to a piece or 48" allthread & have them in dif sizes. They been working OK for me for years..

Mine are similar except I just turned down the drill and inserted it in the rod and brazed them together {No threads}. If the drill is screwed into the rod, it's important to not thread the entire length of the turned down dia. of the drill, so you have a pilot dia. for alignment. {as shown}. I just use a flat bottom drill w/o a brad point and it drills very straight holes. {Sorta acts like an end mill and isn't deflected by changes in wood density}.....Fred

Back