• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

BRUSHING

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The scrub brush I use for cleaning my barrel is pretty standard. I screw it on to the end of my cleaning rod. It consists of twisted wire with little brass wires protruding. It's about 2" long and maybe the thickness of a pencil. Ok. Was wondering if there are any other kinds of cleaning brushes out there that once you put it down the barrel, you can turn the RR around so the brush cleans the very bottom of the barrel. The trouble with the one I am using is that the brush comes to a point at the end which doesn't allow the bristles to clean what's beneath the point. Seems like there should be a brush that is more like a ball so you can scrub the very bottom of the barrel which the brush that comes to a point doesn't allow you to do.

I’ve used similar type brushes , I think mine came from ToW..

The bristles were too flexible and in my experience didn’t perform as expected....

I got much better results from a breech plug scrapper.
Just my .02 worth, others mileage my vary..

Use tow:

BDC8D4E1-2436-4AD6-B9B3-7943546AA8A7.jpeg

The old timers knew how to clean there guns. The tow will scrub the bottom corners of the breech better than anything else.

If someone is wanting to use a brush to clean their bores, be careful which brush you use.

Personally, I do not recommend using a brush in a muzzleloader.

All of the brushes are designed to be shoved completely thru the barrel, and many of them are not designed for a traditional muzzleloading gun.
If you insist on using one remember, the ristles are bent back towards the muzzle as it goes down the bore. These will keep the brush from pulling back out of the bore if they are not turned around so they are pointed towards the breech plug.
To do this, when you want to pull the brush back out of the bore, twist the cleaning rod in a clockwise direction until you feel the brush slip. Continue trying to turn the rod clockwise and while your doing this, pull upward on the rod. That will allow the bristles to be pointed down towards the breech plug so it can be withdrawn from the bore.

Before you buy, look for the kind of brush that has a heavy wire with the bristles and that wire goes thru a hole in the screw end. You can actually see the heavy wire going thru the hole. These brushes are kinda hard to find but they are the only kind that should ever be shoved down a muzzleloaders bore.

There are some cheap brushes that just crimp that heavy wire into a crush-able sleeve on the screw end. That crimp will allow the heavy wire and bristles to pull out if you try to pull that kind of brush back out of a muzzleloader bore. Then you've got a stuck brush and a twisted wire lodged down in there.
Check out the smashed/crimped method used on this one

1606088920366.png

If someone is wanting to use a brush to clean their bores, be careful which brush you use.

Personally, I do not recommend using a brush in a muzzleloader.

All of the brushes are designed to be shoved completely thru the barrel, and many of them are not designed for a traditional muzzleloading gun.
If you insist on using one remember, the ristles are bent back towards the muzzle as it goes down the bore. These will keep the brush from pulling back out of the bore if they are not turned around so they are pointed towards the breech plug.
To do this, when you want to pull the brush back out of the bore, twist the cleaning rod in a clockwise direction until you feel the brush slip. Continue trying to turn the rod clockwise and while your doing this, pull upward on the rod. That will allow the bristles to be pointed down towards the breech plug so it can be withdrawn from the bore.

Before you buy, look for the kind of brush that has a heavy wire with the bristles and that wire goes thru a hole in the screw end. You can actually see the heavy wire going thru the hole. These brushes are kinda hard to find but they are the only kind that should ever be shoved down a muzzleloaders bore.

There are some cheap brushes that just crimp that heavy wire into a crush-able sleeve on the screw end. That crimp will allow the heavy wire and bristles to pull out if you try to pull that kind of brush back out of a muzzleloader bore. Then you've got a stuck brush and a twisted wire lodged down in there.
Check out the smashed/crimped method used on this one

View attachment 51340
THanks Zonie, much appreciated.
Use tow:

View attachment 51334

The old timers knew how to clean there guns. The tow will scrub the bottom corners of the breech better than anything else.
Where would I get TOW Smokey? Does it ever come apart down the barrel so all of it doesn't come back out? Thanks.

My cleaning jags will allow me to use old green scrubby pads from the kitchen. That will get the crud out fast. Or if you are really wanting to use something serious. Go to the hardware store in the paint department and get some brass wool. It's just like steel wool but made of brass, that will really get the crud out fast without damaging the rifling. BTW, I use steel wool on my smoothbores, like why not.

You can use use jute or hemp twine to make your own "tow". Jute twine can be found at most hardware stores and hemp twine at most hobby stores that sell fabric goods. The best tow is the byproduct of processing flax to make linen thread. Probably have to search on ebay.

You can use use jute or hemp twine to make your own "tow". Jute twine can be found at most hardware stores and hemp twine at most hobby stores that sell fabric goods. The best tow is the byproduct of processing flax to make linen thread. Probably have to search on ebay.
Thanks for the info many and Grenadier. So I am thinking that I take, ssay the jute apart and make it into a small ball and use my
So is it a pattern breech or flat faced ?
Not sure?

Bore brushes should be of the type that have their wire wound through the threaded part, so they can’t come off in the bore. But if your brush should come off in the bore, just use a rod with a slotted tip. Tie a “bird’s nest” of string- a small ball of string- to the slotted tip and use that to fish out the brush- works like a charm. I usually use the worm and patch, or tow, in conjunction with a fouling scraper of the appropriate caliber, to get the breech clean.

Latest posts

Back