• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Browning mountain rifle serial number / dating

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hello everyone,

just bought a 54 browning mountain rifle off my dad. Does anyone have any info on dating these? I can’t find any serial number info online or with forum search.

it’s 857PM026xx. I saw that standard centerline browning date codes would place PM as 1980 but just wanted to make sure they used the same system on the mountain rifle.

thanks!

Sorry friend, there is/has been limited info about the JB Mountain Rifle here. (I've followed it here on the forum for awhile) you'll find most of it ancillary.
Browning themselves may be able to help you about a specific gun if you dig in with them.
I've only had the opportunity to shoot one in my lifetime. And the darn thing handled and shouldered well for me,, a very nice feel and balance.
I wish I had one, but the limited edition Rifles are now too far out for me to afford
Good luck in your quest.

These are some of the best production rifles ever made. They were crazy expensive when new and the bench mark for other mountain-plains rifles. I bought a .50 that was a never shot wall hanger in 2019 for $300. The one issue I've encountered on several is the screw that holds on the butt plate can cause the stock to crack and parts can be hard to come by. I shoot all (well almost all my rifles) so I've stayed away from the LE models. These rifles are much heavier builds than the GPR that they are often compared to.

Back