• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Browning mountain rifle nipple

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hypo

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have 3 browning mountain rifles my dad left me a 45 50 and 54 cal the 50 being his favorite but the threading in the breech/durm is stripped and it wount take a napple so its my understanding that i need to redrill the hole and re tab it for a larger nipple but what size?its a 1/4x28 would 7-1mm work?any help would be greatly appreciated.

TOW sells oversized repair nipples. You will need a drill and tap of the correct size, matching the oversized nipple you have to go to for the repair. If you go this route suggest getting a quantity of nipples as spares. They may not be easily available in the future, at least in my opinion.
1610048178965.jpeg

Check Track of the Wolf for oversized thread nipples. Send them email or call them and explain it to them. Don't be surprised if they advise replacing drum. Either way I'm sure they can help.

Unless you have experience and a drill press or milling machine this is not a DIY job. Drilling and tapping a hole that is only 5/16" deep and making perfect threads requires knowledge and experience. A gunsmith that can drill and tap blind holes for scope mounting will likely do a good job.

Just running a tap drill by eyeball and freehanding the tap will not work.

I was looking at TOW as well there definitely my go to.and i have experience with drilling and tapping i build replacement parts or custom parts for airguns.

Unless you have experience and a drill press or milling machine this is not a DIY job. Drilling and tapping a hole that is only 5/16" deep and making perfect threads requires knowledge and experience. A gunsmith that can drill and tap blind holes for scope mounting will likely do a good job.

Just running a tap drill by eyeball and freehanding the tap will not work.
I've done two of them with a hand drill and hand driven plug tap.
It's not all that hard...........

Back