• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Browning help for GPR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yankee thunder

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I browned my GPR with Birchwood Casey Plum brown, but am not happy with the finished gun. I have just received Laurel Mtn. Forge browning solution.
Do I need to take the metal on the furniture and barrel all the way down to the white? I appreciate any help and advice. Thanks again.

I haven't tried to rebrown a plum browned part with LMF Browning solution, but my guess is that you will get the best results by removing all of the existing finish.

The Birchwood Casey Plum Brown does form a brown oxide and even if it's ugly, it still will hold enough oil to protect the metal.

As the LMFs' main task is to form rust, IMO protection of the surface is the last thing you want.

zonie :)

B/C Plum Brown will give you just That, a plum brown color. If you are re browning the barrel, I would suggest you clean it with alcohol, then heat it with a propane torch to about 400 degrees, and then swab on the solution. You will get a yellow/white residue, which is easily removed in cold water. I like to spray the hot barrel with oil and let the fire burn off the oil, to darken the brown.

If you don't like the deep chocolate brown color you get, then by all means, strip the gun barrel down, and use the LM stain per its directions. It give a nice light brown color to the metal which also is nice looking.

I did my double barrel shotgun in Plum Brown, and its brown finish has withstood many smacks in the woods, and scratches to the stock, but no scratches to the finish on the barrel, yet. I have people ask me about the finish every time I have the gun at the range. They too are impressed with its durability.

Back