• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Browning a Frizzen

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My New used rifle has a frizzen that is “in the white” I would like to brown it so it matches the rest of the rifle. Can this be done cold or does it need to be done hot? If I do it hot, do I need to be concerned about the hardening of the frizzen in a way that would be to the detriment of the life or spark of the frizzen. Never did any blueing or browning browning before so recommendations for temperatures, techniques and products would be most appreciated. Thank you experienced firearms builders!

I just used Laurel Mountain Forge barrel brown and followed the directions. No heat needed, but it takes a couple days. I did an entire lock.. You don't want anything put onto the frizzen face; I put a piece of electrical tape on it cut for a perfect fit.

Heres 2 pics. The first was the new lock as it came. The second shows both the original lock(with the patina i was trying to match) and the new lock after I finished treating it.
20210126_085011.jpg
20191001_214938.jpg

I used plum brown on two locks. They turned out great. Disassemble the lock then brown each piece sperately. Only takes a small amount of heat to brown the small parts. I dont brown the inside if the lock plate and of course only the back side of the frizzen.

Latest posts

Back