• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Browning a barrel question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I tore down my Pedersoli Kentucky to do some work on it. I want to remove the factory bluing and have it browned. I could do it my self I suppose, but I think I would be happier with it if it were done professionally. That said, have any of you had your barrel browned and can you recommend them to me. If anyone can tell me who to avoid, that would be helpful also. Lastly, if someone can give me an idea of how much of a pain doing it myself could be, I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

I tore down my Pedersoli Kentucky to do some work on it. I want to remove the factory bluing and have it browned. I could do it my self I suppose, but I think I would be happier with it if it were done professionally. That said, have any of you had your barrel browned and can you recommend them to me. If anyone can tell me who to avoid, that would be helpful also. Lastly, if someone can give me an idea of how much of a pain doing it myself could be, I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Doing it yourself isn’t a big deal. I use the pink naval jelly to strip the blueing. Use as directed and clean with soap and water. I recommend the Laurel Mountain Browning solution. They say you don’t even have to degrease the barrel, but I still make sure it’s clean and wear latex gloves and wipe it down with denatured alcohol. The Laurel Mountain solution comes with good instructions, just follow them and you’ll have a very nice result. Heat and humidity always help speed up the process. Doing this process is not difficult.

Doing it yourself isn’t a big deal. I use the pink naval jelly to strip the blueing. Use as directed and clean with soap and water. I recommend the Laurel Mountain Browning solution. They say you don’t even have to degrease the barrel, but I still make sure it’s clean and wear latex gloves and wipe it down with denatured alcohol. The Laurel Mountain solution comes with good instructions, just follow them and you’ll have a very nice result. Heat and humidity always help speed up the process. Doing this process is not difficult.
Ok, I will look into it. Probably a video on YT about it. Another person mentioned using vinegar to remove the blue. What are your thoughts about this?

Ok, I will look into it. Probably a video on YT about it. Another person mentioned using vinegar to remove the blue. What are your thoughts about this?
Yes, vinegar will work. Just takes longer. Naval jelly is pretty much instantaneous. It’s not expensive and you can get at any hardware store. If you use it, wear latex gloves and don’t let it touch anything you don’t want stripped!

all i ever use anymore is the Laurel Mountain browning/degreaser. you can achieve about any level of texture or smoothness.
just finished a GM .45 for a SMR.
looks like i should use it on the stove pipe!
20230110_080206 (3).jpg
i found a pic of an intermediate stage that shows the part where many freak out and think they have ruined their barrel. just don't hurry and the end results are great.
20230109_204235.jpg

Last edited:
all i ever use anymore is the Laurel Mountain browning/degreaser. you can achieve about any level of texture or smoothness.
just finished a GM .45 for a SMR.
looks like i should use it on the stove pipe!
View attachment 222396
Nice.

Deerstalkert is correct, you can get a smooth finish or a "rougher" more textured finish depending how often you card. You can also rust blue with it. I just finished a "Hawken" barrel and couldn't be more happy with the results, got a smooth deep satin blue/black finish.

Browning and rust bluing are pretty easy to accomplish yourself with a product like Laurel Mountain. Just need to follow the instructions. I have done more than I can remember. If you don’t like the finish you end up with, remove the finish and start over. Part of the journey.

I want to remove the factory bluing and have it browned. I could do it my self I suppose,
Yup.
Tip's an trick's, mess-up's and the fixes, for doing it yourself have all been shared here for over a decade.
Jump in,, you'll be fine.
Of course you'll screw it up the first time, but the fix(s) is easy, just do it again.

Don't know anyone that does it professionally that won't cost ya $200+ shipping, (minimum wage has gone up a bit)

p.s. if it's worth that much to ya, I'll do it. 😇 Just send the check with the barrel;

p.p.s. I'll be the 4th one that say's use LMF

i have to respectfully disagree with Necchi about messing up the first one. i had spectacular success with my first. it was my second that i figured i could discard the instructions and just do it. That said it turned out great after i got my head out of the clouds.
now my laptop goes to the browning instructions immediately when i type Laurel mountain.

i have to respectfully disagree with Necchi about messing up the first one.
Hmm, I hear that, I rubbed it too much,, got the copper coat, had to do the re-do,
,then there was the one I wanted to "hurry-up" an get it done,,

Don't worry @Flintlock Whiskey , you'll soon hear from the guy's that use "plum brown". That stuff never made sense to me, the only reason I bring a torch near a barrel is if I have to solder something,,

I've browned several barrels. The best is to use one of the cold browns. Laurel Hill and Wahkon Bay are good. You live in Arizona and if you have room in your car or van to create a mini oven in the sun, you have an ideal browning oven. Make a small rack to lift the barrel free of the floor. Follow the instructions. Be sure that all oils are removed from the metal. Wear latex gloves. You don't want any fingerprints. Apply several coats of the solution, carding or wiping away light rust between applications. This may make a darker brown (almost black) than using the heat and humidity of your shower as a browning oven. It's not really that much of a pain and you have control of the results.

Here you see the results of the browning of my Harper's Ferry Rifle with Track's browning solution. The Derringer was left in the white.

1684416872956.png

The Harper's Ferry was browned in the back of my minivan. It got to about 150 degrees F and really did the job.

Last edited:
Back