• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brownells screw driver tips for L&R trade gun lock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In lieu of buying a complete set I would like to buy screwdriver tips from Brownell for my L&R trade gun. Does anyone know the tip numbers that will fit? Or, how to figure out the correct size looking at Brownell's catalogue?

Hi rdungan,

First allow me to say it is very wise of you to choose Brownells Magna Tip Bits for this job. BTW, I have NO connections w/Brownells other than I have bought tons of stuff from them over the last half century. I have been using ALL the Magna Tip bits since the mid 1980's and could not be more pleased with them.

Unfortunately, I don't have one of L&R's Trade Guns or Locks, so I can't give you the tip numbers to buy. However, I can help you some.

Not exactly sure if you mean the minimum of two bits, i.e. one for the sidelock screws and one for the top jaw screw?

Or the bits to fit all the screws in the lock?

And/or adding the bit for the tang screw?

To find out how to order the tips for whatever screws you want, you will need a set of dial or digital calipers that read to at least .001" increments. You use the smaller "inside Jaws" on top to measure the width of the slot/s and the larger "outside jaws" to measure the length of the slots.

When I do this, I measure the width of each slot in at least two, if not three positions to ensure I get a good reading. For the pair of side plate screws, I measure BOTH screws this way, because sometimes you get one slot that is a bit smaller in width than the other. Make sure you write the width/s down.

On both measurements of width and length, you then choose the bit size that is at least .001" less than the slot width and as close as you can get to the length, but still less than the length.

Once you have the written widths and lengths, go to the catalog.

The "sd = (measurement)" means the Blade Diameter that you want a little less than the length of the slot.

The "bt = (measurement) means the blade thickness and you want that at least .001" less than the slot width. Sometimes you may have to accept a "bt" measurement of .002" to .003" less than the width of the slot and that's still OK.

Gus

Hi rdungan,

First allow me to say it is very wise of you to choose Brownells Magna Tip Bits for this job. BTW, I have NO connections w/Brownells other than I have bought tons of stuff from them over the last half century. I have been using ALL the Magna Tip bits since the mid 1980's and could not be more pleased with them.

Unfortunately, I don't have one of L&R's Trade Guns or Locks, so I can't give you the tip numbers to buy. However, I can help you some.

Not exactly sure if you mean the minimum of two bits, i.e. one for the sidelock screws and one for the top jaw screw?

Or the bits to fit all the screws in the lock?

And/or adding the bit for the tang screw?

To find out how to order the tips for whatever screws you want, you will need a set of dial or digital calipers that read to at least .001" increments. You use the smaller "inside Jaws" on top to measure the width of the slot/s and the larger "outside jaws" to measure the length of the slots.

When I do this, I measure the width of each slot in at least two, if not three positions to ensure I get a good reading. For the pair of side plate screws, I measure BOTH screws this way, because sometimes you get one slot that is a bit smaller in width than the other. Make sure you write the width/s down.

On both measurements of width and length, you then choose the bit size that is at least .001" less than the slot width and as close as you can get to the length, but still less than the length.

Once you have the written widths and lengths, go to the catalog.

The "sd = (measurement)" means the Blade Diameter that you want a little less than the length of the slot.

The "bt = (measurement) means the blade thickness and you want that at least .001" less than the slot width. Sometimes you may have to accept a "bt" measurement of .002" to .003" less than the width of the slot and that's still OK.

Gus
Gus,
Thank you for your in depth reply. Plan is to buy hollow handle screwdriver. Store bits in handle and keep in box with BP stuff so it is always handy when shooting or cleaning. Bought a measuring device yesterday so I can measure screws. Thanks.

Bob

Back