• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Browned Locks For Sale?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Locks aren't sold in the white. They are sold unpolished. In the white would be after polishing. To look correct a lock should be polished to remove the bead blasted frosted look and then the final finish applied. You don't see many old locks with casting marks. They were forged and filed.

Locks are normally sold in the white for the builder to finish as desired.

It's not only that, but most people don't want to PAY for such extra work to be done to a lock that they will wind up doing themselves much cheaper.

Do anyone REALLY want to pay Machinist hourly rates to brown or polish a lock for you?

Not me.

Gus

Browning a lock is easy, polishing it is what takes the time and elbow grease. The lock polishing is one of my least favorite tasks so I do it first one a build to put it behind me.

This is an L&R RPL for a TC that I have just started on, as you can see the cock is only partially done. I wrap sand paper around files of various sizes to polish the flat surfaces.

polished lock plate 001.JPG

Back