• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Brown, blue, or naturally aged?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have a cva mountain rifle barrel hanging and rusting over my wood stove.
after reading about rust bluing in wildrangeringreen's post i may just might do that with it.
though i am fond of browned barrels. this one has been rusting one day
20220101_124248.jpg

Deerstalker I think I am going to go the same way. Make sure to post some pictures of how it turns out. I'm still trying to figure out how I can get the wife to let me hang my barrel in the bathroom! I think rust blue will be a nice addition to the herd.

0D08B55D-99F5-4892-8659-2B1E09A21EB8.jpeg

After 10 years of patina “in the white”…
Barricade seems too help darken the patina as well..
I discovered this from getting brown patches when using denatured alcohol too wipe my bore prior too shooting.
The brown patches were not from rust in the bore, just residual, dried Barricade being removed from the bore..

Others mileage may vary…

I have done them all at various times over the last 40 years. In the early years I used plum brown and I do like the results. Later tried acid browns and the sweat box not my favorite. Often rather spotty and required lots of time. The cold blues worked for touch up situations or small parts but never lasts under moderate use on the larger parts. I have heard about builders using vinegar. I have never tried so can’t comment. For the last four builds I am bluing, but using a commercial (Brownells) blue process. It copies the old Belgian blue often used on soldered English dbl barrel shotguns. This process requires meticulous metal prep. Follow up application with the blueing liquid and boiling in water, repeated at lest seven times. Easily done in the home setting, but may require purchase of special equipment if one is not handy. Final results are a deep dark blue black finish. For the French blue I only repeat two times and vigorously rub back to bring down the blue.

Back