• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brown Bess Long Gun on Pawn Stars

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what did CHUM go to prison for? seems that he is still on the show?

Is this their long land that was marked 1762 Grice?

Yep and here's the clip from the show ... Pawn Stars

If it had anything else on the lock I might consider it genuine, but since it's marked like a Pedersoli....

Flag On The Play

FLAG ON THE PLAY.JPG

Call is;
Balderdash, that's 15 yards AND Loss of Down!

LD

Is this their long land that was marked 1762 Grice?

Yes, Joseph Grice, observed lock dates of 1758, 1759 - 1762, 1764

from "The Brown Bess" by Goldstein and Mowbray

I can't see if there are the original mandated "Touch" and "View" marks on the top of the Breech? If it has them, it MIGHT be real, though fake stamps for those have been around a long time.

Anyone know what length the barrel is? If it is 46", it might be a "Coach and Harness" Brown Bess from the 1970's.

Gus

Grice did make a 1755 lock (which is an oberved period for a later long land) however from what ive read those locks were most commonly found on marine and militia muskets and sea service muskets. Highly skeptical that this is an original long land. The stock doesnt look like english walnut too

Hi,
As someone who routinely wipes out Pedersoli stamped or cast in engraving on Bess locks, the engraving on this gun is not by Pedersoli. It looks original at least superficially from the brief view in the video. Pay particular attention to how close the thick and thin border lines are compared with the Pedersolis below.

BcAAmXV.jpg

dU0KcnC.jpg

b5NU8Hr.jpg

dave

Hi,
There is nothing wrong with a Bess lock marked "Grice 1762" if it is on a long land Bess or a short land marine and militia musket. The problem with Pedersolis is they are loose copies of pattern 1769 short land Besses. After 1764, British ordnance no longer marked locks with contractor names and dates. They were either marked "TOWER" and no date or "Dublin Castle" with no date. There are a few surviving exceptions from the Irish establishment, but virtually all known pattern 1769 and later Brown Besses do not have contractor names and dates.

dave

Hi,
There is nothing wrong with a Bess lock marked "Grice 1762" if it is on a long land Bess or a short land marine and militia musket. The problem with Pedersolis is they are loose copies of pattern 1769 short land Besses. After 1764, British ordnance no longer marked locks with contractor names and dates. They were either marked "TOWER" and no date or "Dublin Castle" with no date. There are a few surviving exceptions from the Irish establishment, but virtually all known pattern 1769 and later Brown Besses do not have contractor names and dates.

dave

Lately I’ve seen some repro brown Bess’s long land 1755’s passed off as original in auction. They seem to be either coach harness Brown Bess muskets, or an older Dixie gun works bess by turner Kirkland that uses the Grice or Stowe lock.

The tell seems for me that’s a give away is the upper sling swivel location, those coach harness / turner kirkland brown Bess’s with Grice locks, often have the upper sling swivel located beneath the second rammer pipe.

I used to watch them pretty regular but got discussed over and over with some of their remarks. Dad, not the Old Man was often shown reading a gun book of some sort. One show a guy comes in and has a rifle with nice tiger stripe. A number one piece of maple. Dad launches in to an explanation of how those stripes were burned in and then buffed.
That was the last straw, not going to watch the brain dead telling the world their experts. haven’t watch it since.

Back