• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brown Bess-like short Land pattern, lockplate marked '1756 Edge', but in 65-cal?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting Thread. As long as we have the attention of you Members with better knowledge of British guns than myself, let me sneak in here and ask a quick question. Here are some pics of a custom in my collection. I call it an English Fowler/Officers Fusil. It has a 41.5" all-round, tapered barrel in .62 caliber. Which of the two names I mention would be more accurate ? Maybe both ? Thanks.

Rick

DSC00742 (Medium).JPG
DSC00743 (Medium).JPG
DSC00744 (Medium).JPG
DSC00745 (Medium).JPG
DSC00748 (Medium).JPG
officer's fusil 003 (Medium).jpg

So we'll start off admitting this appears to be an Indian import of 'something' like a Bess, but what would that something be? I saw it today in my local toy store.

The barrel is 37" and the bore is a straight 65-caliber, not the 75-caliber typical of the Bess family. Online the only evidence that I can find for lockplates marked '1756 Edge' are from 1st model Land patters of the 1756 models, but they were 75-bore and longer barrels.

I will say ... being shorter in length and smaller in bore size … it is soooooooo much more handier than any Bess ever thought to be, lol! Any ideas?

View attachment 198898View attachment 198899View attachment 198900

So I have one from Loyalist Arms LLC and it's their Serjeant's Carbine. Shoot well, even though not a very good copy of the true 1756 Artillery Carbine.

LD

So I have one from Loyalist Arms LLC and it's their Serjeant's Carbine. Shoot well, even though not a very good copy of the true 1756 Artillery Carbine.

LD

Agree with LD, it’s just not a good copy of what it’s intended to be. The parts are oddly undersized in some places and bulky in others. The wood of course is teak which will need to be died several times to get the right color and tone of walnut.

Interesting Thread. As long as we have the attention of you Members with better knowledge of British guns than myself, let me sneak in here and ask a quick question. Here are some pics of a custom in my collection. I call it an English Fowler/Officers Fusil. It has a 41.5" all-round, tapered barrel in .62 caliber. Which of the two names I mention would be more accurate ? Maybe both ? Thanks.

Rick

View attachment 201876View attachment 201877View attachment 201878View attachment 201879View attachment 201880View attachment 201882
This is a really handsome long gun!

@rickystl, if it looked like a scaled down version of a Brown Bess, but simply in 65 caliber, it could be an officer's fusil or artillery musket, or even a version of the 1756 infantry carbine. The architecture and carving on the side plate and trigger guard bring it into the English Fowling Gun description.

@rickystl, if it looked like a scaled down version of a Brown Bess, but simply in 65 caliber, it could be an officer's fusil or artillery musket, or even a version of the 1756 infantry carbine. The architecture and carving on the side plate and trigger guard bring it into the English Fowling Gun description.
Thanks Grenadier. Now I have the two terminologies with a more accurate description.

Rick

Back