• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brown Bess kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all. Happy Holidays! I have been interested in a bess for a long time but I want one a little more historically accurate than the Pedersolis. Any experience/opinions regarding the Track of the Wolf kits? Thanks!

I think they’re the same as the rifle shops kits. Probably as good as you can find. Start a thread on your build too, it’d be very interesting to a lot of us. Good luck!

I purchased the rifle shop bess after “Dave” said they were more accurate than the Pedersoli. Required more work than my Kibler but worth the effort. If you don’t have the experience building and heat treating a lock pay them to do it.

A63A0683-3F11-4195-9541-F34A55E97541.jpeg
7DE3CD2F-F775-459E-874A-1BCAD1E788BB.jpeg

I purchased the rifle shop bess after “Dave” said they were more accurate than the Pedersoli. Required more work than my Kibler but worth the effort. If you don’t have the experience building and heat treating a lock pay them to do it.

Friend, did it take a long time to receive the kit?

I built the TOTW Long Land Bess kit, including the lock. It was the first lock I built from a set of castings so I had to do a lot of research to find out how to perform the heat treating steps for the mainspring, frizzen and bridle. That was almost 10 years ago. I believe the lock today comes fully assembled and requires only polishing. I found the kit to be a lot of work, but it turned out great. The components are all high quality. Dave Person wasn't kidding when he called the 1742 Long Land Pattern the Mack truck of muskets. It is an extremely robust flintlock and great fun to shoot. I was thinking of building another one until I went to the website and saw the long wait times.

Hi,
The Rifle Shoppe parts sets provide the most options for historically correct Besses. I am not crazy about their precarved stocks and usually build from a blank using their cast parts. Before diving into owning a Bess, it is wise to think about what you want it for. If you want it for reenacting or as a historically correct addition to your collection you will want to understand the different patterns and time frames. If you want a gun for shooting or hunting, then you may want to stick with the earlier patterns (pre 1756) because they tend to have more drop at the heel and shoulder better. Later patterns are straighter and often hard to fit for aiming properly. If you want a good shooting or hunting gun consider building a colonial restock of a short land pattern Bess. That way you can have a shorter and lighter gun but create a historically correct stock that fits you well for shooting. Here is a long land pattern example using parts salvaged from an early British commercial musket by Wilson. It is much better fitting than the ordnance issued guns. With respect to your initial question about TOW's kit, it is an ealry pattern Bess and is a pretty good kit. However, beware of the plans they sell for it. The dimensions are about 10% too large in width and height and I suspect they copied someone's reproduction not an original gun. Also I question the lock markings "Willets 1746" because in my references, he does not show up as a contractor until 1762.
oFXKjKY.jpg

NJt544q.jpg

I3UeaZJ.jpg

3eVMPA3.jpg

DuYklbu.jpg

MntAWJP.jpg

t42xBwY.jpg

o9xQiSC.jpg

RkAwyO0.jpg

mBpHDMC.jpg

dave

Last edited:
Even though my BB is a kit built Navy Arms/Pedersoli I loved shooting it. IMHO it was one of the mostest funnest guns to shoot I ever handled. But, before acquiring one, consider your personal age and health. I had to give up shooting mine, and other bp long rifles, when bad health sapped my strength. Ole' Bess is now a wall hanger and will be up for sale soon.

Hi Lexington1,
That is a nice commercial musket. Are there markings on the butt plate? My restocked example used earlier parts from Wilson and some fabricated from sheet by the colonial stocker. It represents a gun owned by a NJ militia soldier early in the Rev War.

dave

It is a New Jersey marked example on the buttplate. It's pretty worn, but you can see it fairly well in good light. The lock is marked Wilson and it has Wilson marks on the barrel. This one had a wooden rod originally. Unfortunately it had been cut off at 34" barrel length and half stocked. It has kind of a neat brass repair around the lock. That Bess you made looks fantastic!

It is a New Jersey marked example on the buttplate. It's pretty worn, but you can see it fairly well in good light. The lock is marked Wilson and it has Wilson marks on the barrel. This one had a wooden rod originally. Unfortunately it had been cut off at 34" barrel length and half stocked. It has kind of a neat brass repair around the lock. That Bess you made looks fantastic!
Lexington1,

That is one of the 2000 stand of arms that New Jersey bought in 1758 to arm the militia regiments in each county. The S/42 rack number on the thumbpiece is either for Sussex or Somerset County.

Back