• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Brown Bess hunting: carbine vs. full length musket?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTCossack

32 Cal.
Reaction score
When thinking about getting a fowler (I only own rifles at this point) I often consider the Brown Bess reproductions because I am as much a military history aficionado as a hunter. Of course, the Bess is going to be heavier than a purpose-built sporting fowler, so I'm also thinking about the carbine version.(I'm primarily thinking of the Pedersoli reproductions, since I'm not aware of any others currently in production, although used Miroku repros are on my radar).

Can anyone comment on the relative merits of each: carbine vs. full length? Handling, accuracy, other considerations? How far of an accurate shot (say for deer) could I expect to get out of each, approximately? How does each handle for wingshooting?

Most likely my quarry would be either deer and ducks.

Mine is the carbine. That's heavy enough!
I have took pheasant on the wing.
It has taken a fox too with 1&1/2oz of #3 shot.
With 16 .36" balls it's very devastating at 30yds plus. You know when it's discharged too.
Mine prints good groups at 30yds but drops of in accuracy after that for some reason with ball.
I don't use ball in mine but have the data if called upon and if called upon I know it would deliver.

1508701430488.jpg

You will need to find a good, accurate load for the piece, either size. The advantage for the short musket is weight, and length in heavy woods. The full size Bess will give you a longer sight plane IF you attach a 3/4 " brass corner brace under the tang bolt to from a rear sight. Effective range is sometimes beyond 50 yards with the right load, when hunting deer. Be sure your state allows buckshot, as not every state does. The other advantage is that the full size Bess can be more easily sold to a reenactor IF you find that fowler-of-your-dreams.

You will find the full sized Bess cumbersome when swinging on anything smaller than geese when hunting birds.

LD

LD...Do you have a pic of the rear sight you are describing?

MTCossack...I have the carbine and love it. It handles very well and carries easily.

As far as reselling one...the carbine never lasts long when listed online. I won’t sell mine, but my take is it would sell very quickly.

LD...Do you have a pic of the rear sight you are describing?
You got it already,:thumb: but in case other folks are wondering at what you use to start...,

This at the hardware store, and they come in a four pack, so if you FUBAR one you have others to try OR if you have more than one smoothie to give a sight to, and being brass are easily shaped with a file...

CORNER BRACE SIGHT 2.JPG

You make into this, and then install it as in the photo in post #8 above...

CORNER BRACE SIGHT.jpg

LD

That's a good trick!

Thanks, the "beauty" is the rear sight is easily removed ifin the shooter wants to use the musket at a living history event, or at a tradegun shoot (no rear sights allowed) or for resale..., and by total luck the width of the Everbuilt brass brace is very close to the width of a Bess tang, so it's easy to reinstall and be pretty close to "true" when you do. PLUS you can shape the rear opening \/ or |_| or if you like them you can drill a peep sight hole o . :D

LD

I had an 11+ lb Bess (42" barrel light infantry "carbine" of 16 bore/0.662") that threw a great patched ball (paper or cotton) to 60 yards or so and had some use with shot. Good on squirrel and mostly groggy rabbits . Forget grouse.

Now I have a 16 bore fowling flintlock. 42" swamped barrel and all up weight of 7 lbs on the nose. Grouse become a possibility (but not guaranteed) and it is my go to for them . . . mostly an excuse for a nice walk in the woods. Still throws a very good round ball out to 60 yards. No sights (I shoot it the same way I do my traditional bow) though it does have a front blade that I do not much rely on.

I had an 11+ lb Bess (42" barrel light infantry "carbine" of 16 bore/0.662") that threw a great patched ball (paper or cotton) to 60 yards or so and had some use with shot. Good on squirrel and mostly groggy rabbits . Forget grouse.

Now I have a 16 bore fowling flintlock. 42" swamped barrel and all up weight of 7 lbs on the nose. Grouse become a possibility (but not guaranteed) and it is my go to for them . . . mostly an excuse for a nice walk in the woods. Still throws a very good round ball out to 60 yards. No sights (I shoot it the same way I do my traditional bow) though it does have a front blade that I do not much rely on.
Groggy rabbits!
Have they got a drinking problem in your woods? ;)

Back