• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brown Bess Fouling Scraper

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaman

40 Cal
Reaction score
fs-32-8_1.jpg

I've got another Brown Bess newbie question for y'all. I put in another order at Track of the Wolf. This time it was mostly for stuff for my son's new .32 squirrel flinter. However, I did have a few Bess-related items. One of the things I added was a fouling scraper. Here's my question: On a Pedersoli Brown Bess, does the scraper need to be shaped? What's the shape of the breech when you get down to the bottom?

fs-32-8_1.jpg

I've got another Brown Bess newbie question for y'all. I put in another order at Track of the Wolf. This time it was mostly for stuff for my son's new .32 squirrel flinter. However, I did have a few Bess-related items. One of the things I added was a fouling scraper. Here's my question: On a Pedersoli Brown Bess, does the scraper need to be shaped? What's the shape of the breech when you get down to the bottom?

As far as I know, Pedersoli still uses a simple flat-faced breech plug, not one of those cursed Patent Breech setups like they do on a lot of their other guns.
The breech face will be relieved slightly in the side where the vent hole is, but that is not a problem.

@shaman, the problem with the scraper shown is that the ramrod tip for the ramrod that comes with the Brown Bess musket has the same male threads as the scraper. Actually, those threads are metric and not compatible with the ramrod. An adapter is needed to thread the scraper into and onto the ramrod. Or a working ramrod is needed with the threads on the scraper.

The Pedersoli Bess has a traditional flat faced breech, and that scraper will remove fouling from the breech face.

@shaman, the problem with the scraper shown is that the ramrod tip for the ramrod that comes with the Brown Bess musket has the same male threads as the scraper. Actually, those threads are metric and not compatible with the ramrod. An adapter is needed to thread the scraper into and onto the ramrod. Or a working ramrod is needed with the threads on the scraper.

The Pedersoli Bess has a traditional flat faced breech, and that scraper will remove fouling from the breech face.
Yeah, I purchased a range rod as one of the first things. I just use the supplied metal rod for field loading. It's an old habit; I had a hickory rod break on my first Hawken.

Thanks all.

Back