• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brown Bess Carbine...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:yakyak: Paul, If you review all the numerous previous posts you'll find all the information you've just rehashed in your latest post. :slap:

Bubba, :wink:

What's your take on the carbine post from our friend from over the pond?

Giz

Read the first post in this thread Paul. He asks if these guns are historically correct and then says he believes that they are specifically in terms of beingINDIAN TRADE GUNS. An Indian trade gun is a gun made specifically for trade with Indians. There were no Brown Bess muskets with bobbed barrels factory made or otherwise made for trade to Indians in North America. This response should be a satisfactory answer to someone looking for a factual answer to his question. It of course is not a satisfactory reply to someone merely wanting agreement with his point of view regarding the H/C of his gun.
We have all been down this road before, usually with a newcomer who received an in-line for Christmas and refuses to believe that it isn't just like Daniel Boone's.

Responses that have said that there were indeed cut down muskets in America in the early years aren't good enough for this poster because he wants HIS gun to be H/C, not just a common musket with a bobbed barrel. I believe he will continue to search books for photographs, amd museums for short barrelled muskets until he finds one. And that will become the rock that he clings to forevermore. He will have found his Holy Grail. It will be a cut down gun that we all agree existed in period, but it still won't be the Indian trade gun that he asked about in the first post. By then we will probably be on page 392 and most of us will have forgotten what the thread was about in the first place, just as you seem to have done.

Well,

At least I'll still have a sense of humor :grin:

Giz

Yes Tom. The rare and wonderful "Nevawuz". It is seen in both rifled and smoothbore form and with long and graceful barrels and, as we have so recently learned, with short and stubby barrels too.

So here's to the splendid Neverwuz
It's sure to stir up quite a buzz.
It always makes me pause and say
I wish to Heaven t'would go away!

Have a good day! :hatsoff:

And now,

Back to our program? :wink:

I am intrigued by what our friend Squire Robin just said. Has that been discussed here before. Or is he bringing new information to the table?

Quote:....

"Carbine was a bore size favored by the cavalry. Carried on a horse they also wanted short barrels and a sliding ring fixed to the side plate.

The cavalry traditionally used lances, sabres and horse pistols. Making their long arms in pistol ball calibre made sense because they carried those anyway.

Much later the word carbine was resurrected with a new meaning, short barreled. "

End Quote.....

Giz

Robin, it's the wording of the first post in the thread that caused all the difficulties. Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back