• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brown Bess Carbine...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gizamo

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I know these guns are the subject of some great debates....as in are they historically correct...

From what I have seen/read, I believe they are. Especially in terms of Indian Trade guns...

I'd love to see that debate fired up again and view the current thinking...

So is it Deal, or No Deal :grin:

Here's one ~ Pedersoli Brown Bess Trade Gun...

FlintPistol003.jpg

Giz

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ...yes i believe george washington carried one in the battle of bunker hill...

Breed's Hill--but George wasn't there. His Bess had a folding stock and a silencer. He called it Ol' Silent But Deadly. Or maybe that was his pet name for Martha.
Actually, there were no doubt some damaged Besses that had their barrels bobbed, but I've never seen anything to indicate that Besses were built with very short barrels. Even the official carbines were just lighter versions of the standard musket and had fairly long barrels. Claiming it as a bobbed barrel repair of a damaged musket might be the way to go.

:hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff: ...breeds hill, i stand corrected, and being a native of massassachusetts i should know better...

No problem, we always call it Bunker Hill too. I think there is still a sign in the area declaring it to be the famous battle site.

Amazing the things you learn here, did not know that about George...any idea if he preferred English flints or French flints in it? :hmm:

The British kept about 50,000 Bess Carbines in the Tower of London at any one time. The carbines were issued to Artillery, Cavalry, and Light troops. They did differ a bit from each other more than the musket but they did exist. I have one and have used it as several thread counter type events without a comment from anyone.

The Pedersoli Carbine shoots a smaller ball than the musket. The musket shoots a .735 and the carbine shoots a .715. With 90 grains of 2F and a.010 patch it will keep the balls in one hole at 25 yards.

Many Klatch

Although a little off topic,

Didn't a small group defend Bunker Hill and not rejoin the redoubt at Breeds HIll...

In the end General Howe's troop occupied both hills, at a heavy cost to his troops. And I believe they occupied and fortified both positions in Charlestown until they evacuated from Boston...

Anyrate, back to the BB thread that I started :thumbsup:

Giz

Could you post a photo of your carbine? I can't find a reference to a British issue Bess with a barrel less than 37" long. There are several versions with this length, but none with a 31" barrel like the "trade musket" shown in this thread. And I can't find a reference for Besses being made as trade guns in any period.

Russ T Frizzen said:
Actually, there were no doubt some damaged Besses that had their barrels bobbed, but I've never seen anything to indicate that Besses were built with very short barrels. Even the official carbines were just lighter versions of the standard musket and had fairly long barrels. Claiming it as a bobbed barrel repair of a damaged musket might be the way to go.

If it's supposed to be a bobbed barrelled damaged musket, it should look kind of beat up. I provide that service at a very reasonable cost. Send it to me, and I'll tote it around the woods for awhile and then return it to you. One hunting season ought to do it, two at most. Prices and address available upon request. And I even provide my own powder and ball!

A friend of mine was just shooting a bobbed Bess that came from the film The Alamo. It had been shortened and had a swivel ramrod put on it and had the swell by the entry pipe shaved to imitate the Austrian Cavalry/gendarme carbine that some of the Mexican cavalry supposedly carried. He'd taken the swivel off and browned the barrel and lock to age it, so it looked like a seriously cut-down Bess. He was shooting center with it at 15 yards with #4 buck and getting good patterns on a torso-sized target. Did pretty well at 25 yards too.

My friend wanted to keep the style early - a cut-down rather than a new model - but he's interested in a pre-1800 impression. In my mind I'd have kept it like the Austrian carbine - perhaps the ultimate "canoe gun." I came in one bid too low on one of those at an auction years ago, and I've drooled over them ever since.

gizamo said:
I know these guns are the subject of some great debates....as in are they historically correct...

From what I have seen/read, I believe they are. Especially in terms of Indian Trade guns...

Giz

No deal. There is plenty of documentation, in the form of letters ordering very specific types of trade guns to rule out any military style of musket as being suitable for the NDN trade.

NDNs liked light guns, typically with long barrels of at least 38", but longer is the norm, with about 42" to 46" most common. Gauge wise, 20 to 14 bore is pretty common. A 12 isn't unheard of, just not as common.

Military muskets of the period were heavy, comparatively awkward in handling, typically with bores of .75 cal (11 ga), and often as large as 80 cal.

The trade gun at the link is a very common pattern throughout at least the last half of the 18th century.
http://www.flintriflesmith.com/Antiques/Bumford_trade_gun.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
The pedersoli carbine, or as DGW puts it "Indian trade gun" :rotf: is the same 75cal as the musket. As for the carbines in the tower. The guns in British service had standardized bores. 75 for muskets, and 65 for carbines and pistols.

Here's a run down of what to expect for the trade guns that everyone talks about: Mostly referenced from the Johnson papers

"400, Neat Fowling pieces Barrels 4 Feet Long Substantial Stocks to have some distinguishing mark on the Barrel and Lock of each, 20/ price
"400, ditto, a better kind distinguished as above.

List of Goods to be sent from London
ca. November, 1756
Page 899, Volume 3 (?)

"Light & Good fowling pieces..."

A List of Indian Goods
ca. 1761
Page 335, Volume 3

"400 Indian fusees London proved blue barrels
Walnut Stocks polished locks Brass furniture, 16/ 320-
"150 Indian Fusees 4 feet glazed bore barrels bridle Locks &c 20/ 150
"50 Neat fowling pieces Lonn proved barrels Silver Sights Walnut Stocks Bridle Lock wrought Brass Furniture 30/ 75"

Inventory of Sundry Merchandise Ship'd on Board Britannia...London 5 Sept. 1770
Pages 885-888, Volume 7

"The best Indian guns are slight..."

Letter to Jeffery Amherst
Feb. 22, 1759

"Indian Store Loft:
19 New blue barrled Guns Best Sort."

Death Inventory of Sir William, August 2nd, 1774

Thanks very much for the link! Great pics!

Were those vine designs ever lightly carved instead of painted?

Tom

J.D. said:
gizamo said:

Giz

No deal. There is plenty of documentation, in the form of letters ordering very specific types of trade guns to rule out any military style of musket as being suitable for the NDN trade.

NDNs liked light guns, typically with long barrels of at least 38", but longer is the norm, with about 42" to 46" most common. Gauge wise, 20 to 14 bore is pretty common. A 12 isn't unheard of, just not as common.

Military muskets of the period were heavy, comparatively awkward in handling, typically with bores of .75 cal (11 ga), and often as large as 80 cal.

The trade gun at the link is a very common pattern throughout at least the last half of the 18th century.
http://www.flintriflesmith.com/Antiques/Bumford_trade_gun.htm[/quote]

J.D.is correct here and to put it bluntly and as best I can, the so called Brown Bess carbine and its cousin the Brown Bess Indian trade guns are FANTASY guns.

As to the Indian trade guns as J.D. has correctly stated, Indians universally preferred light weight guns usually with long barrels.These were the Carolina/Type G guns which appeared early in the 18th century and lasted until the late 18th century and perhaps even later.The average weight was about 5-6 lbs. including the wooden ramrod. There is evidence that Eastern woodland Indians became enamored with rifles and acquired them whenever possible.Early rifles,either with rifling or as smooth rifles weighed on average about 9-9&1/2 lbs. but their increased accuracy overcame their increased weight compared with their trade gun counterparts.How widespread was the use of rifles by Indians is still the basis for much speculation.

The so called Brown Bess carbine being marketed is essentially a shortened Long Land Pattern musket and was likewise non existent. Traditionally the designation "carbine" referred to bore size rather than barrel length. Arms such as the 1745 Lord Loudon Carbine and the 1756 Light infantry Carbine had 42" barrels but had the nominal .65 cal. carbine bore.It should be noted that the Short Land Pattern musket which was put into service in 1769 as the primary infantry arm supplanting the Long Land Pattern musket was originally put into service as a Dragoon arm and was not classified as a musket..Some of these older Long Land musket barrel sections of up to 4 inches were found on Rogers Island probably as a result of deformed or damaged barrels.Even with the remaining barrels of about 42 inches the barrels of these guns were the same length as the 1744 short land Pattern musket which went into service initially in 1744 as a Dragoon weapon prior to its later introduction in 1769 as the primary Infantry musket.

Nevertheless there were some short barreled arms used by the British. These were:
1.1744 Horse{Cavalry} 37"bbl.
2.1756 Artillery 37" bbl.
3.1756 Artillery Officers 37" bbl.
4.1760 Eliot Light Dragoon 28" bbl.
5.1760-73 Royal Foresters 28" bbl.
6.1770 Royal Foresters 28" bbl.
7.1778 Sarjeant of Grenadiers 39" bbl.
It is not known how many if any of these these carbines saw service in America during either the Seven Years War or the American Revolution.

In addition there were some Sea Service weapons with short barrels intended for deck use aboard ship.

The information on the various muskets and carbines was taken from "Pattern Dates for British Ordnance Small Arms 1718-1783" by De Witt Bailey,Ph.D.
As always I welcome responsible opposing comment.
Tom Patton

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Tom. Thanks for the break down on these guns. I didn't mention the 28" barrel carbines because I thought they varied too much from the Bess. I should have said that the various 37" carbines were of .65 caliber though.
I've never seen anything that indicted that any official British military arm of the period was used as a trade gun even when obsolete. Weight and the large bore would have made these arms highly undesirable to the indians in pretty much any circumstances. Even with a short barrel such as the Pedersoli has, the weight is still way more than a true trade gun would be.
Seems to me this subject has come up before, but it may be that my advanced age is playing tricks on me again.

No tricks, this is that old pile of bones that once was a dragoon mount that gets kicked about from time to time :shake: :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back