• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Brown Bess Carbine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hers a pic of my Pedersoli Brown Bess carbine kit,I just finished building. It was an enjoyable build, and I cant wait to shoot it. I'm pleased with the way it turned out.
I glass bedded the barrel, and worked over the lock to get it nice, and smooth. I also removed the case hardening finsh from the lock. I tried to give the wood color a litttle red tinge, but I think I got to much red in the dye. I also added two sling swivels, with the front one having a lug silver soldered under the barrel. the sling swivels are not correct, but they will work. they are Pedersoli swivels. I left off the serpent side plate, that came withit.

The other pic with the other Carbine, with the Bess, is my 8th or 9th C.S. Richmond carbine Ii finished 2 yrs ago. Its European Walnut stock with a Whitacre barrel .577 bore, with 72 twist. lock plate, and internals buy Brian Hack, and another ole skirmisher, who has also passed. those guys made beutiful parts for these guns.
I have yet to sight this little carbine in.
They made excellent Springfield/Richmond F & R sights also.
Richmond Carbines are one of my favorite war of northern aggresion rifles.

Dave

Attachments

• 20220225_182140.jpg
    20220225_182140.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 20220225_182045.jpg
    20220225_182045.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 20220121_181028 (1).jpg
    20220121_181028 (1).jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 20220225_182217.jpg
    20220225_182217.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 20220225_182227.jpg
    20220225_182227.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 45
I don't subcribe to the' War of Colonial aggression' . I see the ungratefull mutinous turn coats and rabble like Washington & franklin who seemed to forget had it not been for the mother country's help at great cost' .The French & Savages would have the fledgling colonies pushed into the sea just a few year earlier . .The French where not filled with ideals of freedom they only sought to baulk British interests . This isn't post French Revolution its pre & under a despotic king. Though it did bring about the French Revolution since in helping the ungratefull colonists it bankrupted the French . You Americans are fed a diet of You where good & we where bad .Its ingrained in you at School My Wife's American or was .. She trots out the same old bumph. This aside I know you are very skilled & Iv'e made a few Govt Issue muskets & carbines my self and a good few went to the US market . If my own reenactment musket was just' got up 'of three separate' India Pattern' India made variously wrecked guns , Much modified to noddingly pass as a ' Colonels Purchase' . carbine .On the old plan of 'Cobblers kids is poorest shod' .But it surved me well & its still over there blazing away I expect .
Rudyard

Hi Rudyard,
I wrote "war of colonial aggression" as a "tongue in cheek" response to the OP calling the American Civil War the "war of northern aggression". By the way, the French and Indian War virtually bankrupted the colonies of New York and Massachusetts due to their contributions paying for troops, militia, and support for the British Army in North America. By the time of our war for independence, Americans were tired of British mercantilist practices that suppressed manufacturing in the colonies and minting hard currency. We were supposed to supply raw materials to Britain, which would turn them into products to be sold back to us at a profit. Any value added industry in the colonies was discouraged or out right suppressed by trade laws. Moreover, not having much hard currency circulating, colonists were hard pressed to pay taxes, invest in local businesses, and pay wages. That resentment simmered throughout the 18th century, before and throughout the French and Indian War and then boiled over after that. Few in Parliament ever understood that resentment and they dealt with it very poorly. One of the few who did understand was William Pitt, the lion of the Seven Years War but he argued fruitlessly to leave the colonies alone.

dave

Hi,
Nice carbines. I always wondered what the Brown Bess carbine from Pedersoli was supposed to represent. It doesn't match any carbine of which I am aware issued during the war of American colonial aggression.

dave
There were artillery and serjeant's carbines...., so Pedersoli chopped down their version of the SLP Bess....,
Matching a historic pattern?

Attachments

• HISTORIC COPY.JPG
    HISTORIC COPY.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 0
Dear Dave Well that's one view . But you can see why I weary of this irritateing bias useually by some nong who never studied the subject but just likes to be offensive . Don't think me anti American Ive travelled & done more historical events than most native borns are likley to have seen . And at 'Friendship' events any overseas visitors where made a fuss of. But they never did for me which I took as a compliment as they reckoned me a resident and that suited me fine . Basically I followed the Sun swopping hemispheres autumns for springs annualy for 17 years like the geese who are not as silly as there oft called .I did pop over to the UK just after Dixons Fair then shot at Bisley MLAGB Short range Champs & a Small primitive R vous in Darkest Sussex plus any similar 'Gigs' I could fit into . then pop back doing any event I could reach plus the Easterns till about Halloween When Ide head West to visit old friends in Alberta & Washington State ere I hauled my plunder not allready posted back to NZ and into springtime . I married At Fort Ti ' in my F&I togs off course' .Ide have happily moved to Ohio but my wife preferred NZ so here I am still making & doing any event going though they are relitivley few compared to the US options . Since I don,t drive I would go with friends hitch hike or ride the goods trains' fully air conditioned viewing cars' if sometimes a bit drafty but very usefull.
Regards Rudyard

Baraccudadave
I think you did a great job! I like the wood the way it is, very nice.
Whats the brass clamp thing on the Richmond front sight area?

Dear Dave . I know you are most certainly NOT any ignorant' Nong' but I have certainly met some ,Usually at R vous . I don't doubt you are well up on most history .I usually made it a point to learn the history of any region I spent any time in globally .I' lived in a World' and was once described by a Peace Corps volunteer in West Africa as being " My own National Geographic ".No, let us remain on good terms and the mutual respect we shared .The Carbines I made where William & Mary dragoon carbines, 1756 light dragoon, & 1757 home stocked Cavalry,& 70 Artillery,a first pattern Elliots1760,The 1760 Light Infantry carbine.A' conjectural' first pattern Royal Foresters .(then one surfaced ) A Nocks volley gun 2nd pattern. The 1776 'Tower'rifle & 1820 / 27' Bakers series' Cavalry carbine & a Portugees Paget Just the use up two original locks . forgot a sea service grenade launcher .Restocked a double Jacobs, A commercial Baker & an Irregular horse Carbine & fancy to make up a Ketland 1791 carbine .Twas all down to who wanted what but I kept some. Made my own mounts sometimes lock no kits just lumps of walnut .Any way I digress but its about guns. And hopefully smoothing your ruffled feathers . .
Regards Rudyard

Dear Dave . I know you are most certainly NOT any ignorant' Nong' but I have certainly met some ,Usually at R vous . I don't doubt you are well up on most history .I usually made it a point to learn the history of any region I spent any time in globally .I' lived in a World' and was once described by a Peace Corps volunteer in West Africa as being " My own National Geographic ".No, let us remain on good terms and the mutual respect we shared .The Carbines I made where William & Mary dragoon carbines, 1756 light dragoon, & 1757 home stocked Cavalry,& 70 Artillery,a first pattern Elliots1760,The 1760 Light Infantry carbine.A' conjectural' first pattern Royal Foresters .(then one surfaced ) A Nocks volley gun 2nd pattern. The 1776 'Tower'rifle & 1820 / 27' Bakers series' Cavalry carbine & a Portugees Paget Just the use up two original locks . forgot a sea service grenade launcher .Restocked a double Jacobs, A commercial Baker & an Irregular horse Carbine & fancy to make up a Ketland 1791 carbine .Twas all down to who wanted what but I kept some. Made my own mounts sometimes lock no kits just lumps of walnut .Any way I digress but its about guns. And hopefully smoothing your ruffled feathers . .
Regards Rudyard
I find your posts interesting and educational, but also think it’s rude to go off topic and puke on the OP’s thread about their build. Bad manners in my opinion.

@barracudadave67 , nice build. Thanks for posting.

Well that's a left handed compliment ! . My reponse was to Dave's I didn't notice the rifles .I believe you have a point sorry to offend you & the OP.
Regards Rudyard
I did not intend my post to be a left handed compliment nor am I personally offended. I really do find your posts interesting and educational in-spite of what you may think, just not happy about a post derailing a thread started by someone excited about their first build. If you want a soapbox, start a new thread. Could lead to an interesting discussion.

I don't subcribe to the' War of Colonial aggression' . I see the ungratefull mutinous turn coats and rabble like Washington & franklin who seemed to forget had it not been for the mother country's help at great cost' .The French & Savages would have the fledgling colonies pushed into the sea just a few year earlier . .The French where not filled with ideals of freedom they only sought to baulk British interests . This isn't post French Revolution its pre & under a despotic king. Though it did bring about the French Revolution since in helping the ungratefull colonists it bankrupted the French . You Americans are fed a diet of You where good & we where bad .Its ingrained in you at School My Wife's American or was .. She trots out the same old bumph. This aside I know you are very skilled & Iv'e made a few Govt Issue muskets & carbines my self and a good few went to the US market . If my own reenactment musket was just' got up 'of three separate' India Pattern' India made variously wrecked guns , Much modified to noddingly pass as a ' Colonels Purchase' . carbine .On the old plan of 'Cobblers kids is poorest shod' .But it surved me well & its still over there blazing away I expect .
Rudyard
Gee Rudy do not get to high on yer soap box if not for us colonists you guys would probaly be speaking german. Guess that bill from the 1700s has been paid a few times over. Just saying.

Gee Rudy do not get to high on yer soap box if not for us colonists you guys would probaly be speaking german. Guess that bill from the 1700s has been paid a few times over. Just saying.
Dear Hunter Il'e take your good advise .Though if it wasn't for Britain & the Empire as I was born in all of Europe might be speaking German it took Pearl Harbour to wake you up .But history if full of if's One' If' is if Trump got in Putin wouldn't have made his push. & China would bide its time . So now we at looking at WW3 from the knock on effects of the loony left ... OK let us not get too political on the forum Rudyard .
Regards Rudyard

Last edited:
Younblood
Thanks. The brass fixture on the Richmond Carbine is a "sight protector". It keeps the front site from getting banged around when not firing. It just clamps on. They are available at Lodgwood MFG., and S & S Firearms in NYC. about $15.00 for some cheap protection.

Dave

To ALL I know the Bess Carbine is not an copy of any Bess Pattern, but I didn't want one of the real long ones. I bought it as a Pedersoli kit, built it, smoothed out the lock, and added the sling swivels. I had to silver solder a lug under the bbl, to mount the top swivel. It turned out OK. I finished the stocks on my builds with Laurel Mountain Forge stain and sealer, and finnish. The dye was a diluted concoction I made up. I wanted to show the grain of the wood. The finnish is still a liitle to shiny, I'll have to rub it down some more.

The Richmond Carbine stock is a "Euroarms" stock I picked up years ago. It is some kind of European Walnut, much heavier, and thicker grain than American Walnut. It is quite a bit heavier also. It didn't scrape/sand or finnsh as easy as American Walnut.

Pedersoli uses Amerrican Walnut on alot of thier stocks, like the Bess Carbine kit, and a Pennsylvania Long Gun kit I also built.

I have built quite a few of the Richmond Carbines over the years, along with other Confederate rifles. It is not easy getting the quality parts anymore, as a lot of the guys that made the parts have passed. DunLock stocks are not easy to get either.

Dave C.

Latest posts

Back