• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brown Bess- Anyone Out there who can provide some insight?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
London commercial proofs the gun looks fine to me. Don't even think of dumping it . Which ever Barker it might be its right even if the founder of a firm is long dead The firm still produced arms under that name so you cant rule out Mathias Barker & its not cheap junk or any bi centenial Japonees offering. .Yes might not be a Govt Musket but its still a good musket.by the looks of it .
Rudyard
I was being a little facetious about dumping it. Would never dump this cool piece of history. I'm planning on making a nice display case for it soon.

Military and civilian barrels were about the same in thickness, thin by today's standards. The butt markings are indeed indicitive of British service, but not necessarily as we see the gun now. It's very short compared to the regulation 46-42 inch barrel besses, but officers and senior NCOs might have shorter arms. Alternately it could be a recycled military arm either cut down and reduced, or a militia cobble job, American made from used parts as mentioned above. Hard to tell, but in it's current state it's would most likely denote either private purchase or militia arsenal inventory. Neat piece.
Interesting! I have another flintlock that is being repaired after USPS cracked the stock...but that one felt heavier than this Barker and I believe the barrel was a little longer. Had more of the traditional Brown Bess distinctions that Dave mentioned like the trigger guard, side plate, barrel length but still no crown or "Tower" written on the lock plate. I'll try to upload some pictures of it soonđź‘Ť

If you are interested in learning more about the Brown Bess, I would recommend this book. Full of great pictures and more good information than my brain can absorb.

The Brown Bess; An Identification Guide and Illustrated Study of Britain's Most Famous Musket
by Erik Goldstein (Author), Stuart Mowbray (Author)

9BEF8664-BE28-461E-ABB2-3A99BC94BF76.jpeg

Back