• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Brown a T/C Seneca?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.M. Rodri

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I just picked it up and it has a little pitting otherwise it is in beautiful condition. I've always preferred browning on my BP rifles but don't want to ruin any collector value. I don't think it has ever been fired and was just sitting in the previous owners closet forever. The s/n is 37xx. So what do you think? Leave it alone or brown it? Your input is much appreciated. Frogbelly

Maybe some other member knows of someone who collects TC guns for their value but all of the people I've heard talk about these guns are only interested in shooting them.

In other words, the guns value is as a working gun, not a investment for future profit.

That said, IMO browning the gun would not hurt its value as long as you did a good job of it.

If the browning was splotchy or uneven it would decrease the value. If the browning was uniform and well done it wouldn't decrease the value.

My opinion - If the rifle was mint, with box, papers, etc, I'd consider leaving it a safe queen. Since you mention it has some pitting already go ahead and refinish it and enjoy shooting it, and welcome to the forum.

The Seneca is bringing some big money, if in mint condition. It all depends on the amount of rust. If it's just light speckle, is one thing, but you mentioned pitting. In that condition, it would require refinishing, anyway. So, I don't think it would change the value, by much. I'd retain some pictures of it, in it's present condition, and be able to show why refinishing the barrel was necessary. Just my 2 cents.

Collector value? Four or five decades from now, maybe. They are a good factory made ml rifle and currently are in some demand because they are shooters and reasonably priced.
It is yer rifle gun, do wat suits you. I browned my TC 'hawken' when I first got it in the early 1970's. I just browned over the bluing. Easy peasy.

If it was mine, I'd just leave it as it is and shoot it. It is not a copy of an historical gun. It is just a modern gun with a faint, very faint resemblance to anything historical. Any possible resemblance lies in the fact that it is a sidelock and has a half stock. Beyond that, it is a modern weapon. There may be some collector value but if you shoot it, you reduce even that. If you have no intent on selling it to a T/C collector, I'd just shoot it as it is. But, in the final analysis, it is your gun and you can do as you please with it. If you prefer a brown gun to a blue gun and can do a proper job of browning it, go for it. :thumbsup:

"I browned my TC 'hawken' when I first got it in the early 1970's. I just browned over the bluing. Easy peasy".

I didn't know that it could be done that way. I would really like to see what it looks like. I might consider doing the same to my GPR.

In order to get blued metal to accept a browning regent, it has to be absolutely free of all traces of oil, wax and grease.

Bluing or browning works because the brown or blue/black rust holds oil and it is this oil that prevents moisture from causing further rusting.

IMO, it would be just as easy to use black "wet/dry" silicone carbide sandpaper to sand off the existing bluing and any oils it might be containing. Then proceed with the browning process.

"use black "wet/dry" silicone carbide sandpaper"

What grit? Maybe 400 or 600? Then before application maybe wipe it down with a degreaser such as acetone just to make sure all traces of oil is gone?

:wink: Maybe "collector value" was the wrong term and I should have said "resale value" instead. Just browning over the blue would defeat the purpose as it would still be pitted. Instead I would drawfile the entire barrel, sand to a worn 220 grit, bead blast, heat with the torch and apply the browning solution.I think it would be a good idea to change out the brass thimbles to some iron ones and brown them also. Just thinkin' out loud. Frogbelly

I bought a semi a in the 80s. Removed the Sights and replaced them with dovetailed sights. Useing wet/dry sandpaper removed the blue then cold browned with Waukegan bay tru-brown, sanded the stock and finished with try-coat also from WB. I think they are out of busness now but the oil Finnish from track of the wolf and lauran mountain brown works the same and produces a nice brown. Simi traditional looking and fun to shoot. Gave it to a friend, who has since given it to his nephew who is still playing with it. Make it in to your toy and you will love it.

Zonie said:
In order to get blued metal to accept a browning regent, it has to be absolutely free of all traces of oil, wax and grease.

Bluing or browning works because the brown or blue/black rust holds oil and it is this oil that prevents moisture from causing further rusting.

IMO, it would be just as easy to use black "wet/dry" silicone carbide sandpaper to sand off the existing bluing and any oils it might be containing. Then proceed with the browning process.

So long ago, I forget what browning solution I used. There used to be a lot of home brew products on the market, I'm sure it was one of those. And, I'm sure, I was careful to remove all traces of oil and such. I'll post a pic later.

I would really like to see what it looks like.

OK, got a pic of the safe queen. Not the best pic but a good idea of how it looks. I also put on patridge type sights.
TC%20barrel.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Well, it doesn't necessarily look bad, but just like the stock on my MR, it's too shiny :grin: Think I'll try sanding mine first. I will take your advise on the partridge type rear sight though.

BTW, since it was out for the first time in years, I took a look down the bore to see if it was still alright. Yep, just fine and shiny. Gave it a coat of RIG though to protect until...who knows when.

Yeah, if you give 'em a good proper cleaning and oiling like they deserve they'll always be bright and shiny. I just broke my GPR out a couple of months ago after being in storage for over ten yrs w/o even being checked on. When I put it away I scrubbed it out real good inside and out and laid the bore butter on thick. Here while back I cleaned up the bore butter, dropped a bore light down in it and it still has a mirror finish. I love that rifle, it's the most accurate as well as easy to load for, that I've ever owned, modern or primitive.

Well, since the rifle itself isn't period correct either I don't really see what difference it makes one way or the other. The Great Plains Rifle is about as PC as one can get in a production rifle and it still comes from the factory with a period incorrect semi buckhorn rear sight, but they also supply the PC sight with every new rifle they sell. I elected to keep the buckhorn sight on mine when I bought it simply because it makes it much easier to sight the rifle in. Maybe someday when I get rich I'll have myself a true PC plains rifle custom built. Now THAT would be really nice! :grin:

if your planing to resale leave it original. if your going to use it, alter it any way you want. there are folks that like the finish brown or blue but if i was going to keep as a investment leave it as is, just clean.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'm still up in the air but will just enjoy it for what it is now and perhaps sometime in the future? :idunno:

Latest posts

Back