• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brought home my old forge

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eterry

70 Cal.
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Between Red River Station and Doans Crossing, Tx.
About 35 years ago I found this shop made coal fired forge at the local junk dealer.

I took it, along with an old fridge with 200lbs of fine blacksmithing coal to my dad's farm and there it sat under an oak tree.

I recently dug it up, it had settled into the ground about a foot, emptied it of clay and fire bricks and brought it home.

Thankfully the blower still turns, i'll need to see if the old electric motor still works. It has replaceable bushings, I wonder if they can still be had.

20210101_170008.jpg
20210101_170015.jpg

I hope you are at least half as excited about firing up yours as I am mine though mine is a gas forge. Still waiting for refractory cement to line it with. GRRRR

Bushings are available. Brass and bronze. And oil lite. McMaster Carr stocks bushings of all types.

I have a box of bushings of many sizes, maybe over 100. I keep a stash as I often work with old machinery that needs repair. Sometimes have to bore the bushing on a metal lathe for fitting to the shaft or turn the O.D. housing. You gotta have knowledge of clearances and interference fits before attempting this.

Pull the motor apart, clean up the windings, look for bad wiring. Take measurements and photos of the bushings. A good industrial distributor (like Kaman) also will have new bushings.

It the motor has been out in the weather, I would take it to an electric motor shop and have the windings megged. Might need a good dry out (baking in a drying oven) and a fresh coating of Glyptol.

Bushings are available. Brass and bronze. And oil lite. McMaster Carr stocks bushings of all types.

I have a box of bushings of many sizes, maybe over 100. I keep a stash as I often work with old machinery that needs repair. Sometimes have to bore the bushing on a metal lathe for fitting to the shaft or turn the O.D. housing. You gotta have knowledge of clearances and interference fits before attempting this.

Pull the motor apart, clean up the windings, look for bad wiring. Take measurements and photos of the bushings. A good industrial distributor (like Kaman) also will have new bushings.

It the motor has been out in the weather, I would take it to an electric motor shop and have the windings megged. Might need a good dry out (baking in a drying oven) and a fresh coating of Glyptol.
John you're the go to man for such things. I am envious of your knowledge.

Thats a cool looking forge, like the old metal tractor wheel! When i was a kid we knew a guy who did blacksmithing. I enjoyed watching him work metal and loved the smell of the coal. I would like to get into blacksmithing but really don’t need another hobby right now, maybe when i retire!

I took a course in basic blacksmithing last year. It was a ton of fun, with really good people in the class. I made a couple of nails that turned out decent. I bought a nail-header and several guys bought tongs and small anvils.

Thanks for the wealth of information. Just like every old Tractor ever listed for sale... the motor was running fine when I stopped using it.
It had a cardboard box covering it, but it fell apart about 20 years ago. It has oiling spouts on either side of the shaft.
Should I oil it and see if it'll go bang? Or just take it to the shop first? It's not frozen.

Nothing relives stress like hitting something. I found pounding iron got me through many hard times. Just enjoy your forge.

Looks like it is an universal motor with a commutator and brushes. And fairly well protected from the elements.

I would take it apart and clean it up, especially the commutator. You want bright copper, you can clean up the comm with emery paper, a strip of 80 or 100 grit would be OK. Make sure the brushes are seated well against the comm and clean. Blow out the windings with low pressure compressed air (I use 40 psi air in my shop for this). Chase out all the Black Widow Spiders. Look for breaks or bad spots in the wiring insulation .

If it is indeed a universal motor, you can run it on a DC power supply and control the speed by turning a knob. I would check with a motor shop first to be sure, applying DC to a straight AC motor will make smoke!!! You have to match the HP rating of the power supply to the HP of the motor.

Below is a 2 HP DC power supply on my vertical milling machine. Power supply on the wall, the controls are mounted on the mill. 2 HP DC motor on the mill.

jIcaXNZ.jpg

KXKn4Dd.jpg

Last edited:
Back