• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bronze Castings Have Arrived!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wanted to post some updated photos!!! The bore is 3/4", and it was turned on a lathe and polished.

1021090825-00.jpg

1021090825-01.jpg

1021090825-02.jpg

1021090826-00.jpg

The problem with this method, is with the trunnions already there, he couldn't polish the middle! I am thinking of pouring again without trunnions in place, and adding later. Of course, then the machine work prices go sky high!

I am sending one casting back to my brothers shop to see if it can be polished up with a wheel machine. I will get those results!

The cannon bronze casting, is very expensive! Coupled with machine work and polishing! I think the best route is pour in cast iron, and sleeve the bore! This should really keep the cost down!

DD,

Based on the barrel size, what would you scale the plans down to? Or up to?

Mule Brain said:
DD,

Based on the barrel size, what would you scale the plans down to? Or up to?

Depends on which plans you use.

Find the diameter of the cascable reinforce of the cannon in the particular set of plans you like. Divide that measurement into the diameter the of cascable reinforce of you gun. The result becomes you multiplier. Multiply all dimensions on the drawing by that number to scale up.

Just buff those barrels out, don't polish. Polishing will blur the lines and edges over a period of time and leave polish build up in cracks and joints. Bronze gun barrels were polished by plebes, cadets, recruits, sickbay commandos and HQ Rats.

War guns were cleaned.

To get proper patination chemicals look at these websites.

Brass-Bronze Blackening Chemicals

A proper colored bronze barrel will have a warm brownish-bronze color. The patination will protect the barrel from the staining and discoloration-"fingerprints" that plague polished barrels especially after shooting.

Those websites also have clear finishes that protect if you really must have a polished gun!

Mulebrain Nice cannon. Try to locate a product called liver of sulpher. I get mine from the local drug store.It comes in a rock form and you break it up to add to water. This is what I use to color most of my bronze sculpture. The stronger your mix the darker it will come out. I mix mine in a spray bottle and use heat to produce the color I want. If you mix it to strong it will come out black.If you can't find any let me know and I'll send you some. I only purchase a small amount at a time it does not have a long shelf life. Mort

Back