• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Broken sear nose-.50 cal T/C Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Springypond

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I got the new main spring guide and spring installed only to find the sear engagement end had sheared about 1/8 inch off. Found the piece down in the trigger mechanism.
Does anyone know how many sear changes have been done?
my Hawken is early, ser# 60035.
I have what I think is the correct sear ordered but noticed at least two different designs.
I must say the broken sear seems cheaply made and definitely light weight and cast metal.
Any help will be appreciated’ 57A5A193-F091-4AA1-8C82-3BACB6615763.jpeg9796CCD8-3D65-42C8-8601-292777BF6DCF.jpeg6AAFD823-AA9F-4D6D-8F85-2717FDAB7F3F.jpeg

You can try ebay. Not sure if anyone is making aftermarket replacements, The sear and fly seem to be failing as they age with the tumbler notches not far behind. Picking up a whole working lock is not a bad idea. anyone with a better idea nows the time.

Interesting if they still have parts, Let us know. Got a fly from them years ago and they said it was one of the the last they had.

Know of more than one that broke while ‘dry firing’ in half cock position to adjust the TC set trigger based on recommendation/instruction from a YouTube video. If it’s on the internet it must be a good idea....... somebody just has to hold the beer.

TC lock parts are reported to be made by lost wax casting. If you look close on some you may be able to see remants the "casting nibs". I wonder if critical lock parts were ever properly machined and hardened. Examation of breaks often show a highly granular structure associated with brittleness. Just an old civil engineer sharing observations and making suggestions to those inclined to make high quality aftermarket small parts.

Try these guys. They bought the surplus TC parts and have helped me 3 times. The part you need may be listed on-line but if not call them as they have quite a bit of parts that are not listed. I called TC and they gave me this shop number. Nice people and very helpful. I gave the same advice to another guy last week and he located what he wanted at half the eBay price. Good luck.

http://www.thegunworks.com/GunIndex.cfm
Dave

Know of more than one that broke while ‘dry firing’ in half cock position to adjust the TC set trigger based on recommendation/instruction from a YouTube video. If it’s on the internet it must be a good idea....... somebody just has to hold the beer.
Interesting, after my rifle wouldn’t stay in the full cock, I tried several times from the half cock but there wasn’t enough power. I think that must be when the main spring guide broke.
Thanks, you’ve obviously been paying attention to issues.

Back