• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Broken ramrod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well guys I had a terrible day at the range. The rifle shot great but I snapped the ramrod in the cold. It is not in two pieces. Just held together very thinly. Will good wood glue work? I always hear that the glued spot is stronger than the original wood but I want to be really sure before I put the safety of my hand/wrist at stake. I have a range rod, I just need the rod on the gun to be strong enough for use for reloading while hunting. Thanks!

Depends on how tight the load is.... I couldn't say wether it would be stronger or not using wood glue but I've glued stocks together at the wrist with acraglas and never had a failure..... Join really is stronger than the wood like that. I would do it with my .58 but it shoots a .010 patch as well as a .015 and can be easily thumb started and rammed down (smoothbore)

Depends on how tight the load is.... I couldn't say wether it would be stronger or not using wood glue but I've glued stocks together at the wrist with acraglas and never had a failure..... Join really is stronger than the wood like that. I would do it with my .58 but it shoots a .010 patch as well as a .015 and can be easily thumb started and rammed down (smoothbore)
I use a .15 patch with a .520 ball and I can thumb start it. I was just careless and slipped. I love using the .520 instead of a .530 specifically because I can thumb start it and still get nice accuracy for deer at 100 yards.

I use a .15 patch with a .520 ball and I can thumb start it. I was just careless and slipped. I love using the .520 instead of a .530 specifically because I can thumb start it and still get nice accuracy for deer at 100 yards.
Glue it and wrap it real tight with something to cure. Then after it's all good and dry unwrap it and flex it some and see what you think. Only you will know if it feels to weak for your load. I would at least try it myself since it would only cost 10 cents in glue and some time. Might wrap it tight with sewing thread or fly tying thread if you're into that....or fishing line of any kind just make sure to compress the join as much as possible while it cures.

I am going to track down someone to make one but I think in the mean time I will glue the rod just so I have something to stick under the barrel lol. Just glad it didn’t go through my hand. It slipped onto my thumb when it broke but (luckily) I didnt put too much pressure on it and it only barely drew blood. I have heard some horrific stories about broken ramrods through the wrist.

Glue it!! Super Glue. Everything around the break will be weaker than the repaired spot.

RC Model Airplanes. Crash and burn. Grocery bag is a must have to collect the "pieces". Glue it back together and be back in the air in minutes. Glue joints are stronger that the rest of the plane.
Ram Rod? Think about a nylon Darlen from TOTW. Can't break it.

it broke once already, showing a propensity to break. replace it. the ER bill will far out weigh a new rod.
i only have wooden rods on the rifles with bores so small they don't make delrin rods for them.
and my antiques.
hunting and fun shooting i use delrin for safety. i fired one down range this summer and it was recovered in a s shape but whole!

Last edited:
I am going to track down someone to make one but I think in the mean time I will glue the rod just so I have something to stick under the barrel lol. Just glad it didn’t go through my hand. It slipped onto my thumb when it broke but (luckily) I didnt put too much pressure on it and it only barely drew blood. I have heard some horrific stories about broken ramrods through the wrist.
Order one from Track of the Wolf. No! Order two.

How is it broken? If it is across the rod, there's not going to be enough surface area for the glue to hold. If its at an acute angle, and you have a 3, 4, 5 inches of wood to work with, it will hold - and you could put a pin through the middle of the repair to strengthen the repair.

I would look at this way, whats the cost to fix the ramrod ? To fix a broken ramrod in a 50 cal which should be around 5/16 to 3/8 thick will require not only glue but very strong epoxy and possibly some type of copper or brass sheet to reinforce it. To me, i see it as not cost effective. If the break is near the end you can always shorten the rod and then add a thread tip and attach a female extension, but again was the cost of this ?

Cheaper to get a 5.00 hickory dowel and start from scratch, retip ends, taper and finish.

Some great wood for Ramrods are black locust, white ash, white oak (a little more brittle), Yew and Osage. My personal favorite is black locust, very tight grained flexible wood.

Back