• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Broken ramrod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forgot to mention using a greased felt wad ( with maybe a card wad or beeswax wad to protect the powder) greatly reduces loading effort so rod breakage is mixh less of a risk. But we probably don't want to chase that tangent here....

Love the hot pine rosin trick. Should improve my grip on the hickory rod, too!

Didn't see it mentioned, but another thing to consider in is getting one of Joe Wood's (flintsteel) muzzle coning tools. I've coned all my rifles and I'm quite satisfied with them and the short starters have drifted to the bottom of the bag.

Forgot to mention using a greased felt wad ( with maybe a card wad or beeswax wad to protect the powder) greatly reduces loading effort so rod breakage is mixh less of a risk. But we probably don't want to chase that tangent here....

Love the hot pine rosin trick. Should improve my grip on the hickory rod, too!

I tried it on my last two ramrods and was more than impressed.

I got the idea from a buddy of mine who makes custom fly fishing rods out of hickory and ash.

Some things to consider through.

Make sure the rod has the color you want on it before, the rose will seal up the rod and it will not stain.

Get a thin copper pipe to length or you can use tinfoil and heat the rosen over an open fire or stove, the rosen must cover the entire rod then let it soak in the hot rosen for about 45 so its fully penetrated into the wood.

After the rosen dries i recommend finishing the rod with a thin varnish.

Cons: its a lot of work for just a ramrod, and doesn’t make it indestructible. However it does make it pliable and you can almost bend it from end to end.

Haven’t heard of the hot rosin trick…
Has that one been debunked yet?

I made a mistake with the Rosin instructions… was told the hickory rod needs to be soaked in hot water to open the grain and add moisture then it is set in the molten rosen for 1-2 hours.

I’ve done without soaking … I thinks it’s ok my Bess rod certainly bends without breaking

Back