• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Broke Off Barrel Lugg On GPR Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I screwed up Big Time! I was bending in the rear barrel lug to make the wedge key fit and bent it in to much.I took a screw driver and tried to bend the lug back out a little and ended up completely breaking off the lug from the barrel!A costly mistake! Can I somehow re install the lug back on to the barrel or am I (S.O.L.) Need help,please reply! Respectfully, cowboys1062.
Any qualified/certified welder should be able to spot weld it back in place in a matter of minutes. A competent gunsmith should be able to do the same thing.

Ok, all is well. Did you by any chance get to keep the old barrel? :)
Unfortunately No. I did however remove both front and rear sights prior to shipping barrel to them. Also the tang I kept. New barrel came with tang .

In other words, I made out with extra sights and tang not to mention the new barrel.

Respectfully, Cowboy

Cowboy, a friend did just what you describe, about five years or more ago, except he popped off his front lug. Having had good experiences with Loctite 380 Black Max adhesive, we filed and sanded barrel and lug surfaces very smooth, degreased several times, applied a thin layer and clamped. Cold blued the exposed bright metal. Still going strong at monthly competitions and for muley hunting. Brownell's sells the adhesive, a tiny little tube for about seven bucks.

When adjusting lug fit on a Lyman, Interpose a one inch or so round steel object between hammer and lug. I use the side of the head of another hammer. Easy does it- whack and try, whack and try until a tight thumb pressure wedge fit is achieved. This also works for other brands of lugs, and for TOTW-style staples.

I solved the problem with my replacement GPR barrel. The wedges wouldn’t fit through the lugs, so here’s how I fixed it. I loosened the front tang screw one revolution, and the back screw one-half revolution. That didn’t help much. Next I used a small flat file to file away the metal on the inner (barrel-facing) side of the lugs. I did this a little at a time, and then reassembled the rifle. I repeated this cycle until I could insert the wedges by hand, with an extra-hard push the last 5% of insertion.

One of my muzzleloaders had a loose wedge, not knowing about being able to bend the lug or wedge, I just wrapped some tape around the wedge and tapped it back in place. The tape lasted about 2 years before I needed to change it.

Back