• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Broke my OA

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qcml

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone have their loading lever catch fall off the end of the barrel? Mine did the other day. At the range shooting the OA and havin a good time until it happened. Shooting my pet load of 25gr 3F and a 457rb. Got a good group going, 3 on paper and after the forth shot the lever was just swinging in the wind. now with 4 on paper, 2 still in the cylinder w/caps still in place. So what could have caused this?

Mine came off my ASM Remington the other day. It looks like it was a spot weld that only had one small spot holding it. The Gunsmith said it would discolor the barrel to try and solder it back on so we're trying an adhesive. I dont have my hopes up too high that will work, may have to deal with the discoloration.

Sent mine back to Ruger for repair. Not sure if they're going to replace the barrel or try to braze another one on. They said they'd get back to me asap when it gets there.

I'd be tempted to mill a small dovetail in the bottom of the barrel & make a catch to fit.

You might be able to use a different base pin, like the CAS shooters who use conversion cylinders, and load with the cylinder off the frame.

Let us know how your Ruger service goes.
My experience with them was extremely positive,
on a ROA that I messed up.
Very fast turnaround.

You might try jb weld. I built up the front sight on an early replica arem 1875 army that shot a foot high at 100yds. Thought it would fall off by now, but it's held up for over 5 years.

metalman said:
Sent mine back to Ruger for repair. Not sure if they're going to replace the barrel or try to braze another one on. They said they'd get back to me asap when it gets there.

That was the right thing to do. I'll wager they fix and return with no charge.

We'll see what Ruger says first and go from there.
I do have a loading stand I use and I've looked into the base pins from Belt Mountian.

That was the right thing to do. I'll wager they fix and return with no charge.

Exactly what I was thinking. I think he will hear,
"We got it, that shouldn't have broke."

My fixed sight OA 5.5" bbl is on with a screw so you can remove the center pin. Brownell's might have the parts. Epoxy wont hold for long.
Steve

Ruger called today to tell me they have no parts to fix my OA. They are offering me a repacement however. My choice of any single action revolver they make. Now I just have to pick one.

metalman said:
Ruger called today to tell me they have no parts to fix my OA. They are offering me a repacement however. My choice of any single action revolver they make. Now I just have to pick one.

Now THAT is interesting. Ol' Bill must be rotatin' at 70,000 rpm to hear that news.

My ROA was bought as a birthday present for me back in '86, and I shoot the thing most every weekend - never had a thing go wrong with it either - so far.

Your news is BAAAAD - there are a couple of thousand over here in UK where we are still let have BP front-stuffers like that - THE most popular such gun EVER sold in the UK. There are at least 25 in my little club alone.

tac

Take a look at this. It's mainly about the R&D cylinder, but you can see the different base pin setup. It should work just fine with the original cylinder if you use a loading stand.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5AwhP9yzKk

If you don't like that idea, google some of the custom ROAs, certainly one of them could fix your latch.

Although Ruger's offer would have my attention. I like my ROA, but I've got a lot of other C&B revolvers and a .44 or .45 Bisley would go a long way to make me feel better if the OA was toes up.

Last edited by a moderator:
The offer is to good to pass on. I will be looking to replace the OA with another in the future. They did tell me, they will scrap my OA.

Was this a stainless or blued ROA? I suppose if it were me I'd be looking at one of the Ruger .45 Colt or .44 Mag models. Pick out a nice expensive one. If you hate it, sell it and buy another ROA and maybe a Single Six if you like .22's.

I'm still really surprised that Ruger would scrap your OA rather than repair it.

Back