• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Broadbent Madeira

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What brand was your Medium dry?
Broadbent, they had the two styles. 3 other brands of Madira, even a USA bottled.
Port had many more offerings. I guess I'll now have to try some of those too.
I had the bottle outside for a few day's so it was chilled when I sampled last night. I left it come to room temp overnight purposely and just sampled again as an experiment.
It's much better served chilled. And I'm not sure how well the open bottle will age.
I'll share it with friends during the New year holiday so it won't get too old.

Spence,
Is Sandeman a dry or sweet Madeira?
May I ask where you got it?
As I said, I'm not a drinker, so I'm not good at describing wines. The Fine Rich type is 19%, but tastes sweeter than that would indicate, to me.
I buy mine at the local Liquor Barn outlet.

Spence

you guys have me heading to the store to look for some now.

John, a good port is a nice occasional drink. I cant remember the name, but there is one that I had that was made in AU and it was great.

Fleener

As I said, I'm not a drinker, so I'm not good at describing wines. The Fine Rich type is 19%, but tastes sweeter than that would indicate, to me.
I buy mine at the local Liquor Barn outlet.

Spence
Spence,
I found the Sandeman brand of Madeira.
Just so you know it is a Meduim-Dry and unlike the other Brands I have seen it is marked with that on the back label not the front.
Both, you and Necchi piqued my curiosity in finding other brands and although I found only the one Broadbent in fine rich at Total Wines, I did locate not only the Sandeman but another house called Blakely if I recall correctly at a local liquor outlet.
Sandeman Madeira was about 5 frog skins cheaper and the Med-dry is very nice!!
Thanks for the tip, as always, Spence!

The Sicilian

Broadbent, they had the two styles. 3 other brands of Madira, even a USA bottled.
Port had many more offerings. I guess I'll now have to try some of those too.
I had the bottle outside for a few day's so it was chilled when I sampled last night. I left it come to room temp overnight purposely and just sampled again as an experiment.
It's much better served chilled. And I'm not sure how well the open bottle will age.
I'll share it with friends during the New year holiday so it won't get too old.
Necchi,
I hadn't tried it chilled just yet but I'll be putting the bottles outside today!! LOL
It's certainly cold enough, almost reminds me of a NY winter although it won't last here in NM.
Port is very nice and upon first impressions Madeira reminded me of it.
Port is certainly running cheaper as well.
Enjoy it to ring in the New Year!!

you guys have me heading to the store to look for some now.

John, a good port is a nice occasional drink. I cant remember the name, but there is one that I had that was made in AU and it was great.

Fleener
Fleener,
Its definitely worth a try!!
Now I'm thinking that I need some kind of ceramic decanter to keep it in at events.
Any Ideas/suggestions/links?

Well, I had to go to two different stores to find some. Got home and cracked the bottle open. Taste like a Port to me. Certainly not bad.

Fleener

While being made, Madeira wines are heated and held at that temperature for extended periods of time, months, so they are already 'oxidized' when you pull the cork. It is claimed that that means you don't have to worry about it going off quickly after being opened, it will stay good indefinitely. They do that to mimic the conditions back when the wines were shipped for months in equatorial heat in the holds of the old wooden ships, because that is what originally gave the wine its desirable flavor.

Spence

Ok, I'll try a Port.
Any recommendations for a typically available Port
Necchi,
BTW, the Madeira chilled was very smooth!
I wouldn't spend too much on the Port if you don't have to.
I usually get what is available at the supermarket.
I'll check the brand next trip for you

While being made, Madeira wines are heated and held at that temperature for extended periods of time, months, so they are already 'oxidized' when you pull the cork. It is claimed that that means you don't have to worry about it going off quickly after being opened, it will stay good indefinitely. They do that to mimic the conditions back when the wines were shipped for months in equatorial heat in the holds of the old wooden ships, because that is what originally gave the wine its desirable flavor.

Spence
Spence,
In my case, the desirable flavor is exactly why it would never be around long enough to go off!

had to crack open the bottle to have a few snorts while making stuff to take to a party tonight. Might have to lay off a little. It is going down to easy. I might be asleep before the party even starts tonight.

Fleener

had to crack open the bottle to have a few snorts while making stuff to take to a party tonight. Might have to lay off a little. It is going down to easy. I might be asleep before the party even starts tonight.

Fleener
LOL!!
I have a quarter of a stoneware tumbler next to me as I type this.
I limit myself to that much per serving.
I did manage to cut out the linen liner to my wool waist coat before I finished my first one though so it may still look like the pattern...mostly!!
Happy New Year!!

default.jpg

I don't think so, though it does get the wheels turning. I think I'll just stick to buying it at the store.

Back