• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Broadbent Madeira

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sicilian Hunter

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've seen this wine mentioned by Mark Baker, shown as the drink of favor in the taverns in the series TURN and read about why it was brought to the colonies.
Apparently, wine would just about turn to vinegar by the time a ship arrived at the colonies so the wine that came from the Madeira island of Po.rtugal started to become "stabilized" with a dose of alcohol to manage the voyage.
I tracked some down and gave it a try today
I acquired the aforementioned brand, aged 5 years, 19% alcohol by volume and $21 a bottle.
Not cheap!!
It has almost and brandy like feel to it but reminds me of a Port.
An interesting connection with history.

Early American history (17th – 18th centuries)[edit]

John Hancock whose boat seizure after unloading a cargo of 25 pipes of Madeira caused riots in Boston.
Madeira was an important wine in the history of the United States of America. No wine-quality grapes could be grown among the thirteen colonies,[4]so imports were needed, with a great focus on Madeira.[3][5] One of the major events on the road to the American revolution in which Madeira played a key role was the British seizure of John Hancock's sloop the Liberty on May 9, 1768. Hancock's boat was seized after he had unloaded a cargo of 25 pipes (3,150 gallons) of Madeira, and a dispute arose over import duties. The seizure of the Liberty caused riots to erupt among the people of Boston.[6][7]

Madeira was a favorite of Thomas Jefferson, and it was used to toast the Declaration of Independence.[3] George Washington, Alexander Hamilton, Benjamin Franklin and John Adams are also said to have appreciated the qualities of Madeira. The wine was mentioned in Benjamin Franklin's autobiography. On one occasion, Adams wrote to his wife, Abigail, of the great quantities of Madeira he consumed while a Massachusetts delegate to the Continental Congress. A bottle of Madeira was used by visiting Captain James Server to christen the USS Constitution in 1797. Chief Justice John Marshall was also known to appreciate Madeira, as were his cohorts on the early U.S. Supreme Court.

The Sicilian

Port is pretty good too, both ruby and tawny.
I got a chuckle from watching Mark Baker crack open a bottle of Madiera that he'd won at auction, and the bottle was from the time period of the Long Hunts in VA..., when he remarked about tasting something that perhaps one of the fellows who did such hunts tasted..., I doubt that they were sipping 200+ year old Madiera :D... but I understood his sentiments.
Broadbent is probably close to what they were tasting back then. https://www.grapeswine.com/product-...avI1oFo3Ww7Dy4pw1QmYICRPZD87ROnxoCv1EQAvD_BwE
Malaga wine, or even faked malaga wine were also popular. Here is some Malaga https://www.totalwine.com/wine/dess...dem-cream-malaga/p/7702750?s=402&igrules=true

Hey all you Edgar Allen Poe fans... in case you might want to try some... Amontillado before the guy bricks it all up behind a wall, along with his still living, rival... https://www.totalwine.com/wine/dess...erry/don-benigno-amontillado-sherry/p/2919750

Malaga and Madiera were popular in the colonies largely because, being fortified wines, they traveled well. Regular wine in those days did not withstand shipping as well, and maintain its quality, as noted by The Sicilian.

For anyone interested in wine, and the early days of our country, The Cultivated Life: Thomas Jefferson & Wine, is a great documentary on the subject, detailing Jefferson's travels to France and interaction with wine growers and merchants, as well as his role in bringing wine to, and promoting wine making/grape growing in, the Untied States.

I found particularly interesting his description, ranking and documentation of French vinyards/wines that was used in the formulation of France's wine classification system instituted over a half century later in 1855.

It provides a look at a side of Jefferson not often discussed and may change your outlook on corruption in government;)

It is playing right now on Amazon Prime for anyone that has that service and is also available as a DVD for sale on Amazon.

For anyone interested in wine, and the early days of our country, The Cultivated Life: Thomas Jefferson & Wine, is a great documentary on the subject, detailing Jefferson's travels to France and interaction with wine growers and merchants, as well as his role in bringing wine to, and promoting wine making/grape growing in, the Untied States.

It is playing right now on Amazon Prime for anyone that has that service and is also available as a DVD for sale on Amazon.

Here is the promo.

Port is pretty good too, both ruby and tawny.
I got a chuckle from watching Mark Baker crack open a bottle of Madiera that he'd won at auction, and the bottle was from the time period of the Long Hunts in VA..., when he remarked about tasting something that perhaps one of the fellows who did such hunts tasted..., I doubt that they were sipping 200+ year old Madiera :D... but I understood his sentiments.
Broadbent is probably close to what they were tasting back then. https://www.grapeswine.com/product-...avI1oFo3Ww7Dy4pw1QmYICRPZD87ROnxoCv1EQAvD_BwE
Malaga wine, or even faked malaga wine were also popular. Here is some Malaga https://www.totalwine.com/wine/dess...dem-cream-malaga/p/7702750?s=402&igrules=true

Hey all you Edgar Allen Poe fans... in case you might want to try some... Amontillado before the guy bricks it all up behind a wall, along with his still living, rival... https://www.totalwine.com/wine/dess...erry/don-benigno-amontillado-sherry/p/2919750
Dave,
I will have to try the Malaga next!!
Especially at half the price of the Broadbent!!
Love your Poe reference!!

Malaga and Madiera were popular in the colonies largely because, being fortified wines, they traveled well. Regular wine in those days did not withstand shipping as well, and maintain its quality, as noted by The Sicilian.

I found particularly interesting his description, ranking and documentation of French vinyards/wines that was used in the formulation of France's wine classification system instituted over a half century later in 1855.

It provides a look at a side of Jefferson not often discussed and may change your outlook on corruption in government;)

Ghost,
I'm a Prime member and will have to check that out!

So I hunted down this stuff and tried it.
Wow! What a wonderful aperitif.
I had two choices locally, Sweet or Medium Dry,, being a fan of Cabernet, Pinot or Zin's I chose the medium dry.
All I can say is wow,, thank you,,

Thanks for wetting my appetite as Dranuary approaches. :mad: It's going to be a long month.

I haven't tried Broadbent, but I enjoy Sandeman brand Fine and Rich Madeira. I'm not a drinker, but a glass to accompany a good colonial recipe goes very well, and the colonial history of the wine doesn't hurt.

Spence

So I hunted down this stuff and tried it.
Wow! What a wonderful aperitif.
I had two choices locally, Sweet or Medium Dry,, being a fan of Cabernet, Pinot or Zin's I chose the medium dry.
All I can say is wow,, thank you,,
Necchi,
What brand was your Medium dry?
I am a Pinot fan as well and although I enjoyed the Broadbent I found that was all they had at Total Wines.
I am now a Madeira fan myself!

The Sicilian

I haven't tried Broadbent, but I enjoy Sandeman brand Fine and Rich Madeira. I'm not a drinker, but a glass to accompany a good colonial recipe goes very well, and the colonial history of the wine doesn't hurt.

Spence
Spence,
Is Sandeman a dry or sweet Madeira?
May I ask where you got it?

The Sicilian

Back