• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

British Legion Sword types used?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIR

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Trying to find more information on the pattern-types of swords/sabres that the British Legion used----can anyone give any insight into this and of there are any reproductions being made or perhaps even someone who is custom making the patterns that were used by the BL.

Trying to find more information on the pattern-types of swords/sabres that the British Legion used----can anyone give any insight into this and of there are any reproductions being made or perhaps even someone who is custom making the patterns that were used by the BL.

Not completely sure, so I have to ask....Are you talking about Tarleton's Legion in the AWI?

If so, I have some books on British Sword Patterns and may be able to help you out.

Gus

Not completely sure, so I have to ask....Are you talking about Tarleton's Legion in the AWI?

OR are we talking about Emmerich's Chasseurs, with the Queen's Rangers and the Loyal American Regiment, and etc. …, later in the war ?
QUEENS RANGERS.jpg

LD

It was only in the 1760s that Britain developed the capability to mass-produce high-quality swords to a pattern. That‘s why F&I grenadier hangars are often, if not always, marked FR, for Frederick, not GR.

I believe the 1742 pattern was still in use for sergeants, at least, but I am far from a sword expert, so do more research before following what someone on a forum tells you.

Back