British attacks on America.

Discussion in 'French & Indian War' started by lyman54, Nov 16, 2018.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Nov 16, 2018 #1

lyman54

lyman54

lyman54

32 Cal.

I had the pleasure of driving to Cape Cod with my son and granddaughter this past summer. Along the way there were markers showing where a battle took place. I began to think of just the driving time from Ottawa and the terrible conditions both British and American troops must have had in getting an army so far in the wilderness. I have read of the Americans trek led by General Arnold to try and take Quebec in the middle of the winter. Knowing the winters here very well it was shear horror for these troops. Their courage was unbelievable.

nhmoose, Loyalist Dave and Artificer like this.
  2. Nov 23, 2018 #2

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

No Blizkrig then. I recall reading about movement vs wagon capacity vs hauling feed for the stock pulling the wagons. I knew about the red ball express, but at the time of reading that it was a ‘wow’ moment for me thinking about the logistics of eighteenth century warfare.
    I’m near a couple of WTBS battlefields and near the wire road. I ve walked along the Oregon trail, Santa Fe trail and wire road. Walking along those trails drives how the reality of distance measure in time.

3. Nov 28, 2018 #3

Nicholas A. Genda

Nicholas A. Genda

Nicholas A. Genda

40 Cal

Arnold's Trek through the Maine wilderness is on record as one of the most daring adventures in North American history. He started with around 1,200 men and reached Quebec with about half the men, and those men were in bad shape, starving and without good clothing. Some might say the adventure is what broke Arnold's purse, as he spent much of his personal funds on muskets and uniforms for his men.

The offensive was flawed from the beginning, as they worked with bad maps. By the time Arnold had reached Quebec, it was being reinforced with militia and British regulars in retreat from Montgomery's advance, taking Quebec was a tall challenge at that point. What the Americans really needed in taking Quebec was a relief third wing to support the siege, had the Americans had more men and artillery Quebec would have fallen and it ins't likely the Americans would have been dislodged for the reminder of the war.

4. Nov 28, 2018 #4

lyman54

lyman54

lyman54

32 Cal.

Yes perhaps history would have been different. During digs in Old Quebec remains of what are strongly suspected to be American soldiers have been found. I don't know how they were handled, with great respect I hope. Americans were sure the French would see them as liberators against the British which wasn't the case. After American forces took Montreal the 2 men they installed there were very anti French and forced them to close down the churches, sealing the Canadien's decision. Arnold from the start was woefully unprepared with each man supplied with only 5 cartridges. But who knows what actions if and when could have changed history. In any case the British had signed an Act letting the French keep their language, religion and land. I doubt the American government at the time would have done the same and the French no doubt knew that. Interesting topic though.

5. Nov 29, 2018 #5

Black Hand

Black Hand

Black Hand

Cannon

Considering the colonies were British at the time, no American government existed. The war was administered from England through regional Governors and with the British military to enforce.

yulzari likes this.
  6. Nov 29, 2018 #6

Nicholas A. Genda

Nicholas A. Genda

Nicholas A. Genda

40 Cal

The Americans were also not the most generous to their Canadian hosts in Monetral. There had been hard feelings since the Quebec Act was passed, and the Americans showed their discontent with the catholic population. The Canadians chose to side with the British who supported them more than the Americans did. But then again what was Canada in 1775, it was really just two major cities, Monetral and Quebec and Nova Scotia was kind of on its own.

Had the Americans been more generous in their occupation of Montreal and other smaller settlements the British governor Carlton might have been in a more precarious position.

7. Nov 29, 2018 #7

lyman54

lyman54

lyman54

32 Cal.

You are right of course. This was before American Independence. One thing I'm not sure of, what did those opposing British rule consider themselves to be. Did the name America exist at the time? British North America?

8. Nov 29, 2018 #8

lyman54

lyman54

lyman54

32 Cal.

I believe he would have also. The same thing happened at the start of the war of 1812 though. Many Americans who were not loyalists had moved to Ontario because there was so much fertile land to begin farming on. It was thought they would also rise up and join the invasion forces. Unfortunately their homes were also sacked so that didn't work out so well. In any case if it had gone the other way we would just be a happy family today and I could be living in a warmer place at the moment.

9. Nov 30, 2018 #9

yulzari

yulzari

yulzari

40 Cal.

French. Of Nouvelle France. Many from my neighbour's families.

10. Dec 1, 2018 #10

lyman54

lyman54

lyman54

32 Cal.

I meant the population of the New England States under British rule. Those that wanted them out.