• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bringing a twist barrel back to life

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently bought 3- 14 ga. SxS. Unfortunately all three had rusty bores due to the prior owner had way too many guns and lived by the salt water. Two are English makes and the one that I would like to shoot has French locks with Belgian proofed barrels. Any tips for getting these bores in good condition? How smooth were the bores back when they were made? I would like to show up at my clubs skeet range and make smoke. I wont do electrolysis (I have done it before) as I want to save the outside finish. Thanks all
PS: Anyone ever tried to sleeve a cap lock barrel with a 20ga sleeve?

If anyone has sleeved one it's probably Bobby Hoyt. I should think a twist barrel that has suffered corrosion would be more likely to fail than a modern barrel. This due to corrosion getting between the twisted joints with resulting weakening. JMHO
very good opinion!
lining is the way to go. Call Hoyt.

I highly recommend you find someone who could magniflux the barrels before shooting them. Twist barrels are safe if they are not damaged by excessive corrosion.

Magnaflux is fine for a single barrel but you would never know the sides with the rib, I have one as I was a nuke welder back in the day. My boys are still in the trade, so as they also weld I might get them x-rayed the next time they are doing x-ray joints. I could use the contact info for Bobby Hoyt?

Back