• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Brian Barker's newest work.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here is Brian Barker's latest effort. It is supposed to be a frontier gunsmith assembled rifle using mixed parts. More pics on my blog: www.bricestultzhisblog.blogspot.com.

thumbnail_DSCN4086.jpg

I like every single thing about that rifle. The engraving on the sideplate (from the photo on your blog, in the link) brings a smile to my face.

The rifle is a beauty!

Notchy Bob

Very nice rifle and like the LIBERTY on the bottom of the stock, Question on the nose cap is it poured or made of bone, looked at it on your blog different but a very nice way to go about it.

Good question. I would guess that it is brass because that would fit into the mixed parts scenario. Some trade rifles had a brass piece formed around the wood that way just to hold the wood together. In his trade gun article in the May Muzzle Blasts Fred Stutzenberger describes that very subject. The brass is just formed on top of the wood and tucked into the barrel channel. Looks like Brian may have inlet the brass into the forearm wood for a smoother look.

Last edited:
Back