• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Brewing Vinegar

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe, I read else ware that hops don't go well with vinegar. I love hops, just bad in this case. The cans hear have hops already in their so Il grab some online, just the shipping is ridiculous.

Yup, no home brew place here, they retired a few years back, have to order on line, getting to be more and more the situation, couldn't buy any replacement blades for my weed whacker localy, so had to to get them on line :shake: .Town is 70k.

In theory, yes....Things turn out different in real life though. When you convert malt the enzymes are already in the kernel, when you add enzyme to crushed unmalted grain it can't access all the starch. Easier to just buy a bag of malt, or malt the grain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya you Canadians get shafted on shipping.....I don't understand it. A bag of malt I can buy for $40.00 would cost me a $115.00 to buy and send to you. $75.00 of that is shipping...Crazy!.... :shocked2:

Yup, the shipping is such a racket that allot of companies wont sell to Canada anymore.
A local Hot Tub company that sells wine kits has some outdated malt extracts, called them, offered me at cost, will pop over their this afternoon and see what I can get.
I did a Kombucha batch 12 days ago and checked today and a nice scoby on top, want to do a bucket of that. Another bucket left to do another large batch of Vinegar, so maybe another Malt attempt if it works out this afternoon :).

CQ6lfb4.jpg

You could malt some of your fife wheat and use that to make beer/malt vinegar....Might be interesting. 2-3 pounds should easily make a gallon depending on your conversion ratio.

Neil, have you tried the coffee vinegar yet?

I have taken a couple of gallon of the peach wine I had and started a new batch of vinegar. I have given several quarts of it away and am getting low on my own supply. I used the mother I saved in the refrigerator to inoculate the new batch.

Back