• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brewing Vinegar

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got lots or oxygen, open tub with cheese cloth over it. It is happening , just slow, maybe it will hit a criticle point and then convert fast.

Going to do another batch, "Coffee Vinegar" :D Got a starter going now, will make it up later this evening.

Coffee vinegar? What is that? I've not heard of it, but haven't done a google on it either.

My wife suggested that we go ahead and make the reset of the wine into vinegar. We would probably use it that way faster than we would drink the wine. If it turns out bad tasting, we can always use it for cleaning purposes. She uses a lot of commercial vinegar for cleaning and other non food projects.

edited for a typo. I seem to get a lot of those.

lol
I didnt know anything about it till I happened onto it while reading on Vinegar.

So here it is.
1 lb Coconut sugar
1 vanilla bean
60gr/2oz good coffee beans.

Made a starter in the morning with Lalvin_EC-1118
Rough ground beans, split vanilla bean.
Add boiling water to sugar and vanilla bean, when cooled add coffee grounds, top up with water to desired level.

Looks like it will e about %7 alcohol/vinegar.

This morning nice bubbling.

QAWAw03.jpg

fDID4vJ.jpg

v44rr4r.jpg

The coconut is what worries me....Sometimes coconut doesn't age well. I've never had coconut sugar and don't know how transferable that will be....
It produce a bitter acrid taste...Though the coffee may hide it....or it may accentuate it...

I look forward to the final results.

Coconut sugar is made from the sap of flower buds from the coconut palm tree. (It's not made from coconuts as you might think.) The sap is boiled over moderate heat to evaporate most of its water content. The final product is coconut sugar, which is caramel-coloured and tastes similar to brown sugar.

Chemically speaking, much of coconut sugar is identical to white sugar (e.g. sucrose). 70 to 79 per cent of coconut sugar is sucrose; the rest is made up of individual molecules of glucose and fructose (the two sugars than make up sucrose). When it comes to calories and carbohydrate content, there's no difference between coconut sugar and white sugar ”“ both have 16 calories and 4 grams of sugar per teaspoon. https://www.theglobeandmail.com/li...han-white-sugar-or-just-hype/article19187927/

FYI: Sugar beets are on my garden roster for this year...If winter ever quits...

Last edited by a moderator:
So, coconut sugar is like the difference between Maple syrup and corn syrup. Chemically similar but difference in flavor. Note: I'm not referring to high fructose corn syrup.

Back