• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Breech Plugs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a tool made to fit the T/C breech plug, it can be purchased at popular online auction services. Rice make jaws to fit a vise, the inside of the jaws are octagon so they hold the barrel well. I put the T/C tool in a homemade action wrench, the barrel in the vice in the Rice jaws and remove the plug according. It helps to soak the barrel in Kroil at the breech plug area overnight by plugging the nipple or vent hole. I will see if I have pictures as they are many time worth 1000 words.

20180401_154118.jpg
20180401_144832.jpg
20180401_144622.jpg

Last edited:
The TC breechplug tools come in 1" and 15/16", the have a little extra room inside to put leather strips in side it to prevent from marring the barrel, at least the aftermarket ones on eBay do. These are made to put a pipe wrench on and a breaker bar, you will need both.

I have never pulled TC breechplug but it is my understanding that it is only done as a last resort out of necessity.

The TC breechplug tools come in 1" and 15/16", the have a little extra room inside to put leather strips in side it to prevent from marring the barrel, at least the aftermarket ones on eBay do. These are made to put a pipe wrench on and a breaker bar, you will need both.

I have never pulled TC breechplug but it is my understanding that it is only done as a last resort out of necessity.

They made them for their 13/16ths barrels too.

Removing a Sidelock Breech Plug is 100% Unnecessary for the MOST Part, under normal Cleaning and Care, there is NO REASON to Attempt Removing a Breech Plug from your Sidelock Muzzleloader. Unless you have the Proper Tools, And knowledge, you will almost GAURANTEED Ruin your Breech Plug. I have seen NUMEROUS of these Old Sidelock Muzzleloaders with BADLY Damaged Breech Plugs from someone trying to Remove them without Proper Tools, my advice is to DON’T ATTEMPT IT!! Leave well enough alone, unless there is a GENUINE Problem, and then I advise that you take, or send The Barrel to someone that Understands these Things, and has Proper tools for Removal.

With the above said, as much as i tinker with these Old TC Sidelocks, and Green Mountain Barrels, i wanted the Ability to Properly, and Safely Remove a Breech Plug if i chose to do so? I like the ability to access ALL parts of my Guns. SO, I spent the money and acquired the proper Sidelock Breech Plug Removal Tools

I contacted Jason of Rice Barrels and purchased his Octagon Barrel Vise Jaws. These are NICE! Typical Rice, High Quality Stuff, I HIGHLY Recommend Rice, And Jason is a SUPER NICE Guy. My 1:20 Twist .45 Cal Rice Drop in Barrel is Probably the Most Accurate Muzzleloader Barrel i own, As most of you notice, it is in most of my .45 Cal Accuracy Videos, I would put this Rice 1:20 Twist .45 Barrel of mine up against ANYTHING out there, it’s that Good

ApYJe8w.jpg

These are an updated version with 2 Magnets for Attaching to Vise Jaws

Kx95gN5.jpg

yBq3Jpo.jpg

These next 2 pics are NOT Mine, I took them from Rice‘s Website to Show them in a Vise

Z63s5Wh.jpg

rzlbzMc.jpg

I purchased an 18” inch, Smooth Jawed Reed Corp Wrench, i affectionately named “I Will Break Thee” :) If you look in the Jaws you will See a Breech Plug Socket, SPECIFICALLY Designed to get on Sidelock Plugs (TC, Green Mountain, And i believe Investarms? I haven’t tried my TC Breech Plug Sockets on anything But TC and Green Mountain thus far, so i can’t say for sure at this time if they will Fit Investarm Plugs?)

0kncQ2T.jpg

Someone tried to Remove this 15/16” TC Hawken Breech Plug by Grabbing the Hook, they COMPLETELY RUINED the Plug by doing so, The Hook was BADLY Twisted. I had to Replace it.

vct5Nzu.jpg

And 1 more Pic, Showing 2 of my TC Breech Plug Sockets, The 13/16” for TC Seneca/Cherokee/Patriot. And the 15/16” for the TC Hawken .45 and .50 Cal, I stil need to find the TC 1” Socket for the Renegades, and .54 Hawken (I would like to find the Actual TC Tool, I know there is a Fella on Ebay that Makes and Sells them, But i would prefer the Original TC Tool, No. 7314 I believe)

nNNv7JY.jpg

Old TC Breech Plug Socket in the Packaging
6Ix1sD6.jpg

You mentioned in a YouTube video that your T/C Renegade rifles have polished bores. Did you remove the breech plug for bore lapping?

Removing a Sidelock Breech Plug is 100% Unnecessary for the MOST Part, under normal Cleaning and Care, there is NO REASON to Attempt Removing a Breech Plug from your Sidelock Muzzleloader. Unless you have the Proper Tools, And knowledge, you will almost GAURANTEED Ruin your Breech Plug. I have seen NUMEROUS of these Old Sidelock Muzzleloaders with BADLY Damaged Breech Plugs from someone trying to Remove them without Proper Tools, my advice is to DON’T ATTEMPT IT!! Leave well enough alone, unless there is a GENUINE Problem, and then I advise that you take, or send The Barrel to someone that Understands these Things, and has Proper tools for Removal.

With the above said, as much as i tinker with these Old TC Sidelocks, and Green Mountain Barrels, i wanted the Ability to Properly, and Safely Remove a Breech Plug if i chose to do so? I like the ability to access ALL parts of my Guns. SO, I spent the money and acquired the proper Sidelock Breech Plug Removal Tools

I contacted Jason of Rice Barrels and purchased his Octagon Barrel Vise Jaws. These are NICE! Typical Rice, High Quality Stuff, I HIGHLY Recommend Rice, And Jason is a SUPER NICE Guy. My 1:20 Twist .45 Cal Rice Drop in Barrel is Probably the Most Accurate Muzzleloader Barrel i own, As most of you notice, it is in most of my .45 Cal Accuracy Videos, I would put this Rice 1:20 Twist .45 Barrel of mine up against ANYTHING out there, it’s that Good

ApYJe8w.jpg

These are an updated version with 2 Magnets for Attaching to Vise Jaws

Kx95gN5.jpg

yBq3Jpo.jpg

These next 2 pics are NOT Mine, I took them from Rice‘s Website to Show them in a Vise

Z63s5Wh.jpg

rzlbzMc.jpg

I purchased an 18” inch, Smooth Jawed Reed Corp Wrench, i affectionately named “I Will Break Thee” :) If you look in the Jaws you will See a Breech Plug Socket, SPECIFICALLY Designed to get on Sidelock Plugs (TC, Green Mountain, And i believe Investarms? I haven’t tried my TC Breech Plug Sockets on anything But TC and Green Mountain thus far, so i can’t say for sure at this time if they will Fit Investarm Plugs?)

0kncQ2T.jpg

Someone tried to Remove this 15/16” TC Hawken Breech Plug by Grabbing the Hook, they COMPLETELY RUINED the Plug by doing so, The Hook was BADLY Twisted. I had to Replace it.

vct5Nzu.jpg

And 1 more Pic, Showing 2 of my TC Breech Plug Sockets, The 13/16” for TC Seneca/Cherokee/Patriot. And the 15/16” for the TC Hawken .45 and .50 Cal, I stil need to find the TC 1” Socket for the Renegades, and .54 Hawken (I would like to find the Actual TC Tool, I know there is a Fella on Ebay that Makes and Sells them, But i would prefer the Original TC Tool, No. 7314 I believe)

nNNv7JY.jpg

Old TC Breech Plug Socket in the Packaging
6Ix1sD6.jpg

Back