• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Breech plug removal?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spikefrb

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Gents
Have a buggered up barrel on a left-handed T/C Renegade .54 cal.
Question...Is it possible for a gunsmith to remove the breech plug and snail?

Yes, If they have the TC Renegade 1" breech plug removal wrench along with their barrel vise. TC installed those guys tight.

Thanks,
O.R.
TC Breech tool.jpg

Spikefrb, I bought mine off ebay. It has been a few years but I think it was about $20 for each size I bought. Good luck.

That's where I bought mine & I believe that's what I paid for it.

And a set of Rice vise jaws are a good thing to have too though you may not want to spend the 55 bucks if you don't think you'll use them again.

Like Bubba says on the vice jaw's and you need a real solid vise. Not trying to scare you away from the project but to give you an idea of the tightness of the TC plugs. I have a regular gun barrel vice about waist high on my bench and I use a 24" antique RR monkey wrench on the TC adapter. I put my foot on the end of the wrench and my almost 280# helps to pop the breech plug loose. I don't know of any as tight as the TC's.

Thanks
O.R.

And a set of Rice vise jaws are a good thing to have too though you may not want to spend the 55 bucks if you don't think you'll use them again.
Thanks bud.

Thanks Bubba

Like Bubba says on the vice jaw's and you need a real solid vise. Not trying to scare you away from the project but to give you an idea of the tightness of the TC plugs. I have a regular gun barrel vice about waist high on my bench and I use a 24" antique RR monkey wrench on the TC adapter. I put my foot on the end of the wrench and my almost 280# helps to pop the breech plug loose. I don't know of any as tight as the TC's.

Thanks
O.R.
Thanks O.R.

With my 16 " RR monkey wrench and 8" vice I used to remove my TC breech plug. I even removed the barrel from a 1917 Obendorf unmentionable. I cut a V in a 2 x 4 and used to hold the barrel, no problem.
Thanks Bud.
Spike

Back