• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Breech Plug Removal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any rifle that leaves my possession has a 3/16 th " 48" steel range rod with it. The rod has a metal knob on one end , the rod has a sliding bore protector on it , the business end has an adapter tapped for 8x32 female threads. It has different tools for whatever job needed to clear a screw-up such as dry ball /ball removal , cork screw for wad removal , tow removal , breech brushing , Barrel brushing and standard cleaning jags. Operator training is usually necessary , as most first and for that matter anyone trying to use a set of tools of this nature seems not to understand enough basic m/l mechanics to figure the potential of a range rod and it's use. One of these rods goes to the range ,hunting camp , anywhere my flinter goes with me. I'm so perfect , I never make a mistake , like dry balling a potential shot. ( Uh Oh!!!!!! Bull sh_t Detector just went off) All this said , there's no reason to remove a breech plug once it's in place and the truth mark is made across the bottom . In 50+ years being around m/l gun barrels , I've seen only one poorly installed plug. Knowing the guy well , he was probably under the influence of whatever was in the bottle sitting on the bench near him. ..................oldwood

If you do decide to remove the breech plug, after measuring the threaded end and you are ready to reinstall the plug, put some anti seize compound on the threads. It will lubricate the threads, making the insertion easier and the anti seize compound will help seal the threads from moisture penetration during the cleaning process.
Whoever did the original work should have put anti seize on the threads already.

;)

Attachments

• IMG_20210323_161239238.jpg
    IMG_20210323_161239238.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 94
I just removed the breechplug from my DGW Squirrel rifle. It had set idle for many years and I wanted to scrub the bore really good. With patience, it was no big deal. I had it set at an angle so the breech end was down. I filled the vacant touch hole area with Kroil until I could see it and 4 days later with a couple light taps using a rubber mallet on the handle of an adjustable wrench it came right out. This rifle was originally a kit but I cannot remember if I installed the breech plug or it came installed but I am thinking I originally did the breech plug install.

You need an aluminum vice block to remove a breech plug, the aluminum stops the barrel from giving or swaggering also doesnt damage the barrel, and then you need a crescent wrench.

Don't remove the breech plug!!!!.

i have a big vise and the proper wrenches for the breech plugs and barrels from 13/16 to 11/4 inches and i won't remove a breech plug.

Dont listen to this guy, you can remove your breech plug. Just do it with care, treat the threads with anti seize compound and reinstall. For the most part anyone who says not to remove a breech plug dones’t have the right tools to do it Or has never done it.

Just curious. Why the warnings not to remove a breech plug? What harm will it cause to remove it properly?

Many folks try to remove a breech plug with the wrong tools. You need certain aluminum blocks and bushings to hold the barrel in vise and a good crescent wrench. Rice Barrel Co has a good set of tools for this.

I’ve removed the toughest of breech plugs, even on original guns, just do it with care.

i have the proper tools to remove breech plugs, made by a good machinist and inherited from a gunsmith who built, re-bored and re-furbished muzzleloaders. Have removed numerous breech plugs in the past. Seen several rifles ruined by wanna be black powder gunsmiths: One guy trashed a very nice inherited custom rifle. i stopped working on muzzleloaders because it ain't worth the trouble fixing muzzleloaders that others have trashed.

Yep, let's just encourage every novice muzzleloader guy to remove breech plugs. Have at it.

i have the proper tools to remove breech plugs, made by a good machinist and inherited from a gunsmith who built, re-bored and re-furbished muzzleloaders. Have removed numerous breech plugs in the past. Seen several rifles ruined by wanna be black powder gunsmiths: One guy trashed a very nice inherited custom rifle. i stopped working on muzzleloaders because it ain't worth the trouble fixing muzzleloaders that others have trashed.

Yep, let's just encourage every novice muzzleloader guy to remove breech plugs. Have at it.

If someone wants to remove their breech plugs then they should be able to. If you’re as experienced as you claim, then offer legitimate advice on how to Do so. You’re not doing the work for the guy, but to tell him not to like its a red flag issue is just not right. Should you stick the breech in a vise and twist and twist until the barrel is chewed away, no of course not and if that’s what some idiot does, thats their problem. Its the same logic Used when someone does their own plumbing wrong or electricity wrong, there’s always a risk but that doesn’t stop HGTV from showing people how to do it With over a dozen different shows.

Yep, i formerly instructed folks in the removal of breech plugs and other stuff. When they trashed their guns they blamed me. i could give two hoots in hades what folks do to their muzzleloaders.

For many years i would get a couple dozen neglected muzzleloaders to fix just before deer season. Folks expected miracle fixes for their trashed and neglected guns. One of the guns sticks out: The guy cross threaded the breech plug and trashed a nice rifle.

Thanks for your vote of confidence there Okie. 🤣
Do you know who I am? What my life experience is? What I am capable of? What tools I have? :rolleyes:

Just curious. Why the warnings not to remove a breech plug? What harm will it cause to remove it properly?
The action here is what does it take to remove a breech plug properly.

First off, I do not recommend removal of a CVA/Traditions breech plug that has the drum/touch hole liner threaded through the breech plug. That would take the skill set of a journeyman tool maker.

The basic threaded breech plug removal still requires a specialized set of tools that most people don't have. The sturdy work bench, a vise with properly padded smooth jaws and a wrench that fits the breech plug. Even having good instruction can end up damaging the breech plug or the barrel unless care is taken in the removal and the installation.

Yeah, no hard feelings on my end. :)
I even got the plug re-installed no problem.
I appreciate Ryan's witness mark he made.
I lined it back up perfectly. 😎

Back