• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Breech Plug Removal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macr0w

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Hey guys,
New guy asking dumb questions here.
I have been sorting through the parts in my kit and figuring out what to do. I have started cleaning up some of the casting and machine marks on the metal. I shaped my breech plug tang and started inletting the barrel.
I have a question: how hard should the breech plug be to remove?
I know it should be pretty hard but I am afraid I'm going to booger up the metal trying.
I want to measure the threads so I know how deep it goes into the barrel.
This thing came with the barrel and plug assembled with a stamp in it.
I assume the stamp is what's keeping me from getting it apart.
So, what's the best way to break it free?

Attachments

• IMG_20210322_200209136_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210322_200209136_HDR.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_20210322_200224595_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210322_200224595_HDR.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_20210322_200236015_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210322_200236015_HDR.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 96
Well, I wanted to measure the thread. I don't know how deep they go into the barrel.
Should I not remove it?
I thought it was made to be removed? :dunno:

that is a witness mark. it is there so that if the plug is removed you can line them back up upon reassembly to be sure it is in its proper place
Yeah, I know what it is.
That's why I thought I could take it apart.

They're on pretty tight. I just put a barrel in my vice just like in your first pic and put an adjustable wrench on the bottom on the plug and twist it off. That way it doesn't booger any metal up...normally. To be honest I don't really care if I booger it up a little as the last thing I do on a build is draw file the barrel and file/polish all the metal components.

This guy in inletting a barrel. He's gonna want to remove the plug. They're no big deal. A lot of barrels come with the plug not fitted so you have to take it on and off a dozen times or so to fit it...again, no big deal.

Don't remove the breech plug!!!!.

i have a big vise and the proper wrenches for the breech plugs and barrels from 13/16 to 11/4 inches and i won't remove a breech plug.
I have a vise and plenty of tools.

Make sure that when you put the barrel in the vise, that you use something soft and flat in the jaws of the vise. Clap the vise just in front of the threads in the breech plug so you don't crush the barrel into the threads.

You will need a breech plug tool to remove the breech plug.

This one is offered by Rice Muzzle Loading Rifle Barrels in the New Products.
RICE MUZZLE LOADING BARREL COMPANY (ricebarrels.com)

Take a look at tools offered by Rice Barrel for ideas or maybe purchase. They have jaws for your vice to protect the barrel and a tool to grip the breech plug. I always remove the breech plug to inlet a barrel. Easiest way to inlet a barrel in my opinion, especially when you have the right tools.

I clamp the bbl in the vise and have copper jaw covers to protect whatever is being clamped. I use a 12" Crescent wrench and copper shims to protest the bolster, A 2 foot length of pipe goes over the wrench handle and have never failed to remove a breechplug...which should be removed for inletting the bbl and accurately locating the TH or TH liner. Also, that large radius of the bolster should be reduced to 1/32" or a small radiused slot is made w/ a needle file and steel should be removed from the back of the bolster so that the shims and wrench just fit. I also angle the sides and back of the bolster by a few degrees. ....Fred
P1010030.JPG

Eventually I'm going to install a touch hole liner.
If I don't remove the plug then how do I get inside to clean up the liner?
I'm not an experienced gun smith by any means but, cleaning up the inside of the hole and excess liner seems like a good idea.
Everyone told me there was no such thing as a dumb question.

You definitely have to remove the breech plug if you are going to put in a liner. You need to make sure the liner doesn't extend into the barrel. I second the use of the Rice's breech plug tool and vice jaws - they are great. Another alternative would be to grind the jaws of an adjustable wrench to an angle to match the plug.

You are right, you need to check the depth of your liner when you install it, on smaller barrel they often extend into the breech and need to be filed flush. I screw my liner all the way in but not tightened and check for any of the liner protruding into the breech , if there is I unscrew the liner and grind it down on a bench grinder to have the end slightly out of the breech.

On the first gun I built I used a Dremel and needle files to get the end of the liner out of the breech after I completely installed it, it took a while, the bench grinder is a much easier solution.

Pulling a breechplug is a standard skill if you do any work on a gun. One thing I have found, particularly with Colerain barrels is the breechplug fit to the breech face isn't even close to being a good seal. This will need to be addressed.

Then there is a problematical dry ball or in my case putting a thin wad down first by accident. there is no way to extract such a wad without pulling the breechplug and punching it out.

I always used a crescent wrench and a length of pipe to get the breechplug out of a Rice Barrel, those babies are IN there. A couple of years ago I bought the Rice vice jaws and breechplug wrench, it was a fine investment.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back