• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Breech plug fitment, lathe set up?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1BadDart

45 Cal.
Reaction score
When you guys fit a breech plug, where do you set up your indicator? On the threads, the shoulders or the face of the tang lugs? My breech plug tightens up nice but has a .003" gap between the top of the tang and barrel.

How do you cut the shoulders? If my math is right, I need to take .007" off the face of the plug and .003" off the shoulders of the tang.

Thanks, Justin

Bore size pin in bore mounted in a 4 jaw independent chuck. I mount the breech plugs in a large round split threading die and then a three jaw scroll chuck. Die adjusting screw backed out of course. Use a parting tool to skim the shoulder.

.003 might just crush in. Chamfer the starter thread a decent amount to deal with the imperfect thread in the bottom of barrel thread. Or just turn the starter thread on plug to root dia.

Thanks guys. I'm setting (breech plug) up in a four jaw chuck, when set up on the threads it was within .001" but was .010" on the two tang surfaces.

My thinking is to take .003" off the face and try it again and see if the tang is still in time with the flat. If not, I'll have to cut the face and the tang surfaces.

Has anyone ever fitted a piece of SS shim stock on between the face of the plug and the shoulder on the barrel? I talked to a guy a few years ago that told me he did this to make cleaning the breech face easier.

Thanks, Justin

It's finished. It only needing .007" off the face and .004" tang shoulders, so I just used a file. Took about 20 minutes, black sharpie on all three surfaces, install, remove and check contact, file and repeat.

Latest posts

Back