• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Breech face fouling trouble

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was one on the first members of the AR15.com forum in the 90’s, back before the Black Rifle craze started. It was a nice little forum where everyone respected each other’s opinion and a lot of opportunity to learn and share info on common interests. The site became inundated with thin-skinned, caustic, argumentative know-it-alls who actually knew nothing. Got so fed up with the rude behavior that I quit the site. I’ve come to this site for a long time (and just recently became a member). This site is very helpful and generally respectful, I hope it’s not degenerating into AR15.com. Without sounding condescending, I would urge those of us who have a deep connection with history and love of historic firearms not to acknowledge/respond to rude posts. Just ignore them.

I left this forum after years participating under a similar posting name. The ignorant and condescending bullies became to frustrating. After I came back I decided not to try to educated anyone or to prove I was right. I just put it out there and walk away. When somebody becomes nasty by making personal attacks I report them to the moderator. Arguing does not pay off.

I left this forum after years participating under a similar posting name. The ignorant and condescending bullies became to frustrating. After I came back I decided not to try to educated anyone or to prove I was right. I just put it out there and walk away. When somebody becomes nasty by making personal attacks I report them to the moderator. Arguing does not pay off.
That's good advice ,I receive it and will do better in the future. I tend to defend what I know to be correct information.

I was not directing that toward anyone in particular.

Here is something to ponder....

Being right and getting want you want are not always the same thing.

My nephew's rifle did that at a Fort TY match years ago. Scaping did not clear it. Finally we sent a patch grabber the 2 piece curled steel wires it drug up two patches that were against the breech face. Scoured the breech face with a copper breech brush and it was again shiny. Never did find out how the patches ended up there.
I’ve had this happen, especially with my 58 caliber musket. If you don’t have the hammer at half cock when you swab, a vacuum will occur and suck a patch off the jag once it clears the muzzle. Surprised me, vacuum pulls the patch down the barrel quite a way. Didn’t make this mistake again?

I’ve had this happen, especially with my 58 caliber musket. If you don’t have the hammer at half cock when you swab, a vacuum will occur and suck a patch off the jag once it clears the muzzle. Surprised me, vacuum pulls the patch down the barrel quite a way. Didn’t make this mistake again?
If you feel the vacuum when wiping the bore, something is blocking the flash channel. In Quin's case, the hammer was down on an expended cap that effectively sealed the bore. Obviously, one needs to account for all the patches being used. But, one also needs to be aware what is being told to us by the rifle about conditions in the bore.

Some procedures require that the hammer is left down (NSSA) when reloading to minimize air flow through the barrel and breech to prevent the oxygen from maintaining an ember. In most cases during a reloading of a Minie' ball, the bore won't be wiped as paper cartridges are used and the windage of a Minie' ball will allow air in the bore to pass the Minie' ball.

I tend to defend what I know to be correct information.
Being right and getting want you want are not always the same thing.
Can your ego even handle the possibility you are not right?
Or even more so, that someone else might be right?
Can your ego handle that something someone else is doing might actually work the way they have shown you that it does, even though you would not have thought so? That someone else may have as much or more experience in something as you?

Doesn't seem like it.

Low grade powder perhaps?
If “patent” breeches (properly made patent breeches) were bad the British would never have used them on better grade flint guns. I have a rifle I built with a Nock ante-chamber breech (Nock was the original patent breech circa about 1780) and it only acts up with low quality powers. The swivel show as an avatar with my posts has breeches that would be called “patent” and I can shoot it about as long as I like without problem. So it’s either powder related quality or granulation or charge weight or design issues. I don‘t use fouling scrapers on flat breech guns either. Never owned one and have shot flint for over 50 years.

No one here is talking about " wonkie historical breech plug fitting" and yet you make statements without any substantiation. My breech plug are fitted by hand, even the ones from venders that claim they are fitted, and I sure they use the most up to date modern machine made practices.
Robby

Back